GM's Barra cuts costs, changes culture to emerge as CEO contender

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM's Barra cuts costs, changes culture to emerge as CEO contender

News Contributor
    Thanks

Automotive News
    June 14, 2013
    by Tim Higgins

DETROIT (Bloomberg) -- At General Motors Co.'s Detroit headquarters, executive offices tend to be on high floors, have amazing views of the Detroit River, and contain a collection of model cars.

The latter is especially true for car guys, that swaggering breed involved in design or engineering as opposed to accounting or human resources.

Two things set apart the office of GM's current No. 1 car guy: One, its occupant is a woman. Two, sitting on a cabinet among the toy cars is an Albert Einstein bobblehead.

Mary Barra, GM's first female chief product officer, is coy about the bobblehead. Her boss, GM CEO Dan Akerson, gave it to her after a war-game competition among executives to see who could best attack GM. Barra's team won.

"It was really about what strategy we were going to take," said Barra, who has been at the company for 33 years. She's responsible for the design and quality of all GM cars and trucks.

Asked to share her secret to defeating GM, she smiles, and the lessons she learned in the HR and public-relations departments kick in. "Um, I don't really want to tell you."

Barra, 51, comes across as measured and standard-issue corporate, the opposite of swaggering. Rather than brag about the awesome torque of the new Corvette, she talks about "driving an organization that's customer focused."

She considered buying a restored Chevrolet Camaro a few years ago, but hasn't, in part because, said a confidante, it would be a dangerous temptation for her teenage son.

Government bailout

Barra is a corporate survivor who has played a role in the soap opera of GM management for a generation, emerging on a very public stage as the leader of the company's $15 billion vehicle development operations, a role that will largely determine the success or failure of the company for a decade or more.

After a $50 billion government bailout in 2009, GM has made about $22 billion in profit over the past three years, while making some of its best vehicles ever. Still, GM is nowhere near as profitable as global competitors such as Volkswagen AG and Toyota Motor Corp.

Adam Jonas, an analyst at Morgan Stanley, said GM's operations are much more complex -- and expensive -- than those of its major rivals. To make GM the world's most profitable automaker, Barra is following the example of Billy Durant, who founded the company more than 104 years ago: Slash development costs by building a wider variety of cars and trucks off the same parts.

'Hardest job'

She's trying to do that while avoiding what happened in the 1970s and 1980s, when the company earned a reputation for slapping Chevy, Cadillac, and Oldsmobile badges on similar-looking cars to save money. There wasn't much difference between a Chevy Cavalier and a Cadillac Cimarron, which Time magazine declared one of the 50 worst cars of all time.

"Mary Barra has probably the hardest job in the global auto industry right now," said Morgan Stanley's Jonas. "If she can really knock the cover off the ball, she deserves to be CEO of GM."

During her time at the company, Barra has worked in engineering and run an assembly plant, among other product-centric roles. When Akerson appointed Barra senior vice president of global product development in 2011, though, she had just spent a year and a half as GM's head of HR, which did not sit well with the car guys in the company and around Detroit.

It was the first time a woman held a major U.S. auto company's top vehicle development job. Akerson later said that Barra was in the running to replace him when he retires, making her the first female CEO contender in GM history.

Vanilla style

"The fact that she's leaving Human Resources to take on The General's most important task certainly has the scent of Old GM's corporate politics on it," wrote the Truth About Cars, an industry blog.

"She had a difficult time getting credibility because she was in HR before, even though she is an engineer," said Rebecca Lindland, an industry consultant. "It's sexism, and I think it's the HR title."

Barra's vanilla style probably didn't help, either.

Bob Lutz, the outspoken former Marine pilot and legendary car executive, used to fly his own helicopter to work. At Chrysler Corp., he developed the Dodge Viper. During his time running GM car development, he brought new life to the company's lineup and modernized production with global vehicle platforms that Barra is now benefiting from.

No 'gasoline'

"As to whether she's going to be the next Bob Lutz, I don't think so," said John Wolkonowicz, an independent automotive consultant. "I don't get the impression that she has gasoline running through her veins."

Reporters haven't followed her through pit row at Daytona International Speedway as they did Mark Reuss, president of GM North America, earlier this year, or talked about driving on the Nuerburgring race track in Germany as they have with CFO Dan Ammann. Both Reuss and Ammann are also considered potential CEO successors.

Barra's most high-profile moment came in 2009 after then-CEO Fritz Henderson put her in the HR role to help groom a new generation of leaders as the company worked to come out of bankruptcy. She allowed employees to wear jeans.

"Our dress code policy is 'dress appropriately,'" she announced in a memo quoted in the Detroit Free Press at the time. Barra had been attacking GM's bureaucracy, slashing the number of required HR reports by 90 percent and shrinking the company's employee policy manual by 80 percent.

Dress code

Loosening the dress code, though, drew a flood of calls and e-mails from employees asking if they could, in fact, wear jeans. One manager was upset about the image this might send to company visitors.

"So you're telling me I can trust you to give you a company car and to have you responsible for tens of millions of dollars," Barra responded, "but I can't trust you to dress appropriately?"

It wasn't a fashion issue. Barra saw the dress code, along with other changes, as an opportunity to have a conversation about responsibility.

"There was a culture in the past where the rule was the rule and when you weren't empowered to make the decision you could all just complain about the rule," Barra said. "Well, now we were really empowering virtually every single person. We had a lot of HR for HR."

Fewer platforms

That's about as negative as Barra will go. She won't be goaded into criticizing her colleagues and refuses to take shots at former executives.

She stays on message: Her job is to make cars and trucks people want to buy, and to do so efficiently. The biggest part of that is reducing manufacturing complexity. That means using as few vehicle platforms as possible, which speeds up development and lowers costs.

VW is pushing to reduce its 15 platforms to five by 2019, with more than 55 percent of its vehicles based on just one of those platforms. VW says this will cut its costs by 20 percent.

In 2010, GM had 30 platforms. Barra said the company is on track to reduce that to fewer than 10 by 2020, which should help reduce development costs by $1 billion a year. She added that GM can save an additional $1 billion by avoiding the stop-and-start of vehicle-development programs that plagued the company during the lead-up to bankruptcy.

Full article available at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Re: GM's Barra cuts costs, changes culture to emerge as CEO contender

I like Mary Barra. She certainly deserves to be a top executive at GM. Will she be CEO? Maybe. Between her and Mark Ruess it will be interesting. I'm glad to see that there are now some good executives at GM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I hope Mark Ruess replaces Akerson if only for the simple fact that he's the kind of guy who should be running a car company. I'm sure Mary would do ok but if I had the choice I'd still chose Ruess.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

I am not a fan.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Mercedes-Benz C320 4Matic

If they pick her over Reuss I'm gonna be ill.
    I got tired of waiting for GM to make a FWD convertible.

2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Sport Spyder
    2005 Mercedes-Benz C320 4Matic

Thanks

She is the one that killed Pontiac. She better not be the next CEO.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

This little bit does sound promising, she does understand that too much process, too many rules, too much oversight is the worst thing to have in any company. It will take time to get folks to accept that they can apply more creativity to their daily work and to the problems that still plague GM. But, she sounds open to having new ways of looking at things and ultimately doing things.

If this is truly an accurate picture this might be a good situation for GM: CEO = Reuss, President = Barra.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in T.O. View Post
    No, the dealers killed Pontiac. Pontiac became Chevrolet with an arrowhead. For Pontiac to have survived it would have had to seriously change in the 90s. By 2009 it was too late. Claiming the person who points out the corpse as the murderer is stretching reality unbelievably.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

News Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post

If this is truly an accurate picture this might be a good situation for GM: CEO = Reuss, President = Barra.
    Reuss is a Bill Ford equivalent, imo.... Barra could be the next Alan Mulally.

Thanks

Impressive decision maker. I'm not sure she has what it takes to be CEO because I still know little about her passion. I know Mr. Reuss has the passion but can he make the tough decisions?
    Last edited by bone; 06-15-2013 at 06:37 AM.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Mark Reuss is a National Treasure but that doesn't mean he should be CEO. That's too far away from the "cars" themselves and that's where his talents are best applied. Mary Barra would make a fine CEO, but there may be other candidates just as qualified. We'll see.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,099 Posts

Mark Reuss would be nice to run GM and is my personal favorite, but Barra is very professional and a no nonsense kind of woman, it would seem.

I'm afraid Mark Reuss might be seen as too homey to be taken seriously by Wall Street and the like, but I hope he gets the position.

I don't like Barra all that much, but don't care if she gets the job done. My only concern with her at the helm is a period of exceedingly bland automobiles/lineup.

Mark Reuss needs someone to check him on his passions, but I have faith in him.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. So long as Reuss has a prominent position, GM is one of the most profitable automakers, and GM produces truly outstanding cars and a new wave of classics, I don't care.

Alex Villani: Staff Writer Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in T.O. View Post
    Um...no. Time and bad practices killed Pontiac. But if you had to pin it on one person who was at the helm of product development, it would be this guy:

Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: BigAl@GMInsidenews.com
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

I personally think going by what I have heard that Barra would make a BETTER CEO then Reuss as long as she sticks to EMPOWERING people below that are DIRECTLY responsible for the BRAND/CHASSIS/ETC VS Reuss I get the feeling would try to dictate from the TOP and any Co the size of GM do NOT need TOP driven MANAGEMENT when it comes to brands/product DEV
    Reuss would be awesome as the head of a devision where his "PASSION" could be "harnessed" better
    IMHO

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC vetterider19's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
    Um...no. Time and bad practices killed Pontiac. But if you had to pin it on one person who was at the helm of product development, it would be this guy:

Bob Lutz did not kill Pontiac....
    1998 C5 Corvette LS1/F45 48,498
    2013 Infiniti G37XS Sedan Prem, Nav, Sport, Tech VQ37VHR 1238

Inspired Performance
    America's Sports Car

Long Live The General

Winter is coming.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information