GM Planning New Full-Size SUVs for 2014 - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Planning New Full-Size SUVs for 2014

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC peterj2706's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile Re: GM Planning New Full-Size SUVs for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post

Where is this thought that the Escalade needs to be sooo much better than the competition, like it needs to be Range Rover good.
    I believe the ad's, this is the 'Standard of the World' we are talking about, right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 lio45's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Re: GM Planning New Full-Size SUVs for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfDurant View Post
    Completely agree.. I think the Avalanche already got the axe didn't it? I know several folks that bought the current Avalanche bought it because that's what they wanted for their Silverado. They always bought Silverado's but hated the current design so got the Avy instead. I'm not sure there's much of a market for such vehicle if Chevrolet would just step up their game on the Silverado.. All I know is they have their work cut out for them on the next Tahoe.. This current generation is just gorgeous to look at IMO. Very classy and very popular around here. I see alot of Escalades and Burb's too.. I hope the design team is ready to rock..
    I really think GM should save money on the sheetmetal and have the pickups and SUVs share a design... (complete front end, doors)

It's worked well for decades. Not sure exactly why they felt they had to mess with it for the GMT900s.

Not only will they save money, they'll help their fullsize vehicle range seem more successful, as people will see more of them everywhere... Look how often you see GMT800s, GMT400s, and even 73-87s (73-91 for the SUVs) around... then realize a good chunk of these are Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans, older Blazers/Jimmys, but all of them are clearly the same thing. From the front, you can't even tell. (When you've got one following you.)

Then if you add the 2500 and 3500 pickups to the mix (which ALSO used to have the exact same sheetmetal as the other fullsizes) it's no wonder the GMT400s seemed ubiquitous back in the day.

That pie is now split in three (1500 pickups, SUVs, heavy duty pickups).

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    GM Planning New Full-Size SUVs for 2014
    The Car Connection
    May 26, 2011
    by Marty Padgett

GM is planning a major overhaul of its full-size SUV fleet for the 2014 model year.

The automaker said today that it will spend $331 million to renovate its assembly plant in Arlington, Texas, home to its current crop of GMT900-family SUVs, including the GMC Yukon, Yukon Hybrid and Yukon XL; the Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, and Tahoe Hybrid; and the Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV.

The expansion of the Arlington plant could add production of the flexible-bed Chevrolet Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade EXT, if those vehicles are brought back for a third generation of production.

GM had planned for replacements of the full-size SUVs for the 2013 model year, but it was forced to put off production as it maneuvered through its Chapter 11 proceedings. Ironically, in 2006 and 2007, GM had pulled ahead production of the GMT900 family of vehicles, just in time for gas prices to crush SUV sales as a prelude to the 2008 financial crisis.

The new investment will add 110 jobs to the site, though it's unclear if they're being added for construction or for vehicle production.

Arlington opened in 1954, and has built passenger cars and trucks. In 1997, the plant won a coveted slot in the GM empire to build its full-size trucks and SUVs, winning out over the now-shuttered Janesville, Wisconsin, plant. Truck production began as GM ended Texas production of the Chevy Caprice, Buick Roadmaster and Cadillac Fleetwood rear-drive sedans.

The plant now counts 2,400 employees and more than 3.75 million square feet under roof.
    The next gen GM Full-Size SUV lineup needs revised to
    Tahoe
    Suburban
    Avalanche
    Yukon
    Yukon Denali
    Yukon XL
    Yukon Denali XL
    Yukon EXT
    Yukon Denali EXT
    Escalade
    Escalde ESV

The Yukon EXT/Denali EXT would replace the Escalade EXT since it would sell at much higher volumes and help offset the cost of the Avalanche.

The Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche/Silverado would have the same front styling

Yukon/YukonXL/Yukon EXT/Sierra would have the same front styling

All LD Denali models would have the same styling

HD Silverado/Sierra/Denali would have unique to HD styling.

This reduces the current styling differences from the current seven (2 different Chevrolet and 2 different GMC LD front styling and 1 Chevrolet HS, 1 GMC HD and 1 Denali HD) to five (one for each LD model with only the Denali and HD models retaining their own look).

Denali and Escalade models would offer the 4.5L Turbo Diesel and both would get higher quality interiors.

The Denali line adds a high performance "Raptor-like" model to replace the H2/H2T.

On the "On Road" side there would be a Denali to compete with the Range Rover Sport.

The Denali lineup would gain a few vehicles to broaden the U.S. and Global sales market since the Sierra sell just about the same number of units outside of NA, GM needs to boost this untapped segment. Time for GMC to replace Hummer and go after some new global customers and make a move into Europe with the full Denali line sold through Opel dealers (like they are paired with Buick here) since the sales volume will not be high, GM needs to focus on profit margins per sale and get the sales Hummer used to get and expand on it with the high performance on road model.

Escalade would have a new top level to compete with the Range Rover and Lexus LX with height adjustable suspensions, adjustable suspension/transfer case diff lock settings to provide excellent on road handling with above average off-road capablilities.

Expansion at the plant can permit overflow production of LD crew-cabs.
    Last edited by SierraGS; 05-26-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andretti View Post
    Wow! In only three more years, how do they do it so fast?
    Maybe not. If Greece defaults on part of their debt next month, then Europe may start falling again and will bring the US and then the entire world with it, again.

Of course, Europe had almost a year to get their crap together with their bailout package and still have not figured out a way out their mess. And there was a conference held by a hedge fund last year that stated: "All possible outcomes for Greece are negative.".

GM can't come out soon enough with the next Verano, Astra hatchback and Orlando. Maybe they should make sure they come out with the Malibu because it's still badly needed. But, hang on to your hats folks. It may hit the fan next month because now Europe is actually cornered.
    AWD wagons
    Feeling Good by David Burns

Biodiesel forum
    http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751
    Fuel documentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CBOdgBlk8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    As always, sooo high and mighty.
    Jeeze Louise, Amphibian, can't a guy pick and tease without you girls crying?

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Surely, Cadillac can step up and take the crown. They now have money and they should not have excuses like they used to.
    The Escalade's got some points right, but it just doesn't have the same cachet as a Range Rover. Several factors could determine this: firstly, there's the Escalade's unfortunate ride-of-choice for the MTV Cribs set. Secondly, it's little more than a tarted-up example of a crude Chevrolet, whereas the Range Rover departed with its humble Landy roots ages ago. And lastly, it could very well be from Cadillac's lack of focus and direction, and subsequent demotion in the prestige stakes.

I think it's a combination of the three.

From my personal perspective, the second factor, the fact that it's really a lowly Chevrolet, is what kills the deal and renders the Escalade a complete joke in my eyes. It's no more than putting a Sedan DeVille front clip onto an old Caprice body and calling it a Cadillac. That doesn't cut the muster. GM will have to give the Escalade platform some sort of premium features, such as IRS or a multi-link front setup to set it apart from its lesser brethren.

Like it or not, that's what the customers PAYING FOR THE HIGH-MARGIN VEHICLES demand.

For such Cadillac "fans", it's difficult to understand why so many of you are not only satisfied with, but demand Cadillac remain, a second-rate product.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    Jeeze Louise, Amphibian, can't a guy pick and tease without you girls crying?

The Escalade's got some points right, but it just doesn't have the same cachet as a Range Rover. Several factors could determine this: firstly, there's the Escalade's unfortunate ride-of-choice for the MTV Cribs set. Secondly, it's little more than a tarted-up example of a crude Chevrolet, whereas the Range Rover departed with its humble Landy roots ages ago. And lastly, it could very well be from Cadillac's lack of focus and direction, and subsequent demotion in the prestige stakes.

I think it's a combination of the three.

From my personal perspective, the second factor, the fact that it's really a lowly Chevrolet, is what kills the deal and renders the Escalade a complete joke in my eyes. It's no more than putting a Sedan DeVille front clip onto an old Caprice body and calling it a Cadillac. That doesn't cut the muster. GM will have to give the Escalade platform some sort of premium features, such as IRS or a multi-link front setup to set it apart from its lesser brethren.

Like it or not, that's what the customers PAYING FOR THE HIGH-MARGIN VEHICLES demand.

For such Cadillac "fans", it's difficult to understand why so many of you are not only satisfied with, but demand Cadillac remain, a second-rate product.
    Ok you say thats what they demand, yet your not a buyer in this segment or an owner in this segment. The Escalades sales and customer satisfaction say that the customers WHO ARE PAYING FOR HIGH MARGIN VEHICLES like myself buy the car they prefer and that is the Escalade for a good percentage of this segments buyers.

Thanks

We own a 2007 Yukon XL Denali and dearly love it. We will be ready to replace it in 2015-17.....and would love to see a new Yukon and Escalade out then.
    2010 Infiniti FX35
    2007 Yukon XL Denali
    2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Ok you say thats what they demand, yet your not a buyer in this segment or an owner in this segment. The Escalades sales and customer satisfaction say that the customers WHO ARE PAYING FOR HIGH MARGIN VEHICLES like myself buy the car they prefer and that is the Escalade for a good percentage of this segments buyers.
    The point you're failing to grasp, germeezy, is that many buyers automatically scratch the Escalade off their shopping list for one of the three primary reasons I listed. I want GM to fix these issues to make the Escalade simply mop the floor with Range Rover and the other competitors.

Think of it this way: the people happy with the Escalade as it is certainly aren't going to stop buying them if they became more sophisticated. But until Cadillac fixes the "cheap" aspects of it, it will continue to drag down the Cadillac brand. In other words, you can sell a rich man's car to a poor man, but you can't sell a poor man's car to a rich man.

You, and mbukukanyau, and the rest of the rah-rah-gang have yet to answer why you're so adamant about Cadillac remaining a second-rate product incapable of drawing in the most discerning customers. People like you call me a "snob" when your platform is based solely on your laughable "class war" mentality. You, like the rest of the katzenjammer kids, have that "f--- them rich snobs" mentality, and willfully push those customers to other luxury brands. You cut off your nose to spite your face, and frankly, I find that line of thinking not only foolish, but outright stupid. So if Cadillac is happy with the Escalade being the car of choice for white trash lottery winners, first-generation-on-Wall-Street Jersey guidos, and every hood rat who lives in his mama's rec room to afford the lease payments on his "Sclade", then so be it. But don't give me lip when I point that fact out, because it's you, not me, demanding that Cadillac perpetuate its practice of appealing only to the market's lowest-hanging fruit.
    Last edited by t-rex; 05-26-2011 at 09:25 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC rfraleigh's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope they make the Yukon and Tahoe/ Suburban a little more different this time around. The exteriors are both good looking and different enough, but the interiors are exactly the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    We own a 2007 Yukon XL Denali and dearly love it. We will be ready to replace it in 2015-17.....and would love to see a new Yukon and Escalade out then.
    Same here, but were looking to replace our Suburban with an Escalade. I'm sure they will be out by 2014.

The point you're failing to grasp, germeezy, is that many buyers automatically scratch the Escalade off their shopping list for one of the three primary reasons I listed. I want GM to fix these issues to make the Escalade simply mop the floor with Range Rover and the other competitors.

Think of it this way: the people happy with the Escalade as it is certainly aren't going to stop buying them if they became more sophisticated. But until Cadillac fixes the "cheap" aspects of it, it will continue to drag down the Cadillac brand. In other words, you can sell a rich man's car to a poor man, but you can't sell a poor man's car to a rich man.

You, and mbukukanyau, and the rest of the rah-rah-gang have yet to answer why you're so adamant about Cadillac remaining a second-rate product incapable of drawing in the most discerning customers. People like you call me a "snob" when your platform is based solely on your laughable "class war" mentality. You, like the rest of the katzenjammer kids, have that "f--- them rich snobs" mentality, and willfully push those customers to other luxury brands. You cut off your nose to spite your face, and frankly, I find that line of thinking not only foolish, but outright stupid. So if Cadillac is happy being the brand of choice for white trash lottery winners, first-generation-on-Wall-Street Jersey guidos, and every hood rat who lives in his mama's rec room to afford the lease payments on his "Sclade", then so be it. But don't give me lip when I point that fact out, because it's you, not me, demanding that Cadillac perpetuate its practice of appealing only to the market's lowest-hanging fruit.
    Very well said!

...but demand Cadillac remain, a second-rate product.
    I think Cadillac has excellent design, quality, and image. Sure theres more than few things that could be fixed up, but I really don't think the term "second-rate" fits Cadillac.
    Last edited by rfraleigh; 05-26-2011 at 09:29 PM.
    Toyota- Moving Forward Because we can't stop!
    Opel + USA + NOW =

Current Vehicles
    - 2010 BMW 535i Touring, 2010 Cadillac SRX4 Turbo, 2008 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ
    Past Vehicles
    - 2005 Cadillac SRX V8, 2005 GMC Yukon XL Denali, 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 2002 Chevrolet Suburban LT, 2000 Chevrolet Suburban, 1993 Saab 900 Hatchback, 1991 BMW 3 Series Coupé

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Napolean & some of his descendants might light Miatas & other sub-compacts, but the men in my family don't fit in the Jr. sized cars. I'm 6'5 and there's no way for me to drive one of those little things because my legs would be jammed up against the steering wheel. I'm waiting for the new Suburbans to come out, wish they would be here next year.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar red_rider's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '02 Mustang GT '97 Mazda B2300

Quote Originally Posted by FORDHATER View Post
    Napolean & some of his descendants might light Miatas & other sub-compacts, but the men in my family don't fit in the Jr. sized cars. I'm 6'5 and there's no way for me to drive one of those little things because my legs would be jammed up against the steering wheel. I'm waiting for the new Suburbans to come out, wish they would be here next year.
    There are sizes between subcompact and Suburban, just in case that's the main reason you think you need one. But I suppose a Chevy Cruze or Ford Ranger doesn't make you as much of a manly man as having to drive a Suburban...

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

You, and mbukukanyau, and the rest of the rah-rah-gang have yet to answer why you're so adamant about Cadillac remaining a second-rate product incapable of drawing in the most discerning customers. People like you call me a "snob" when your platform is based solely on your laughable "class war" mentality. You, like the rest of the katzenjammer kids, have that "f--- them rich snobs" mentality, and willfully push those customers to other luxury brands. You cut off your nose to spite your face, and frankly, I find that line of thinking not only foolish, but outright stupid. So if Cadillac is happy with the Escalade being the car of choice for white trash lottery winners, first-generation-on-Wall-Street Jersey guidos, and every hood rat who lives in his mama's rec room to afford the lease payments on his "Sclade", then so be it. But don't give me lip when I point that fact out, because it's you, not me, demanding that Cadillac perpetuate its practice of appealing only to the market's lowest-hanging fruit.
    I normally just come here to get my GM info and read some post for humor/entertainment but you are really coming off as a prick.

It was awhile ago, but somewhere I read that the average income of someone that purchases an Escalade is close to $100k/yr. I could be wrong but if it's true then I'm certain they don't fall into the category I bolded.

Thay would include my black uncle who has never stayed in the hood, is retired from Dupont, owns his own house, and really bought his "Slade" (the correct nickname) because he wanted something that stands out and had enough room for his two grandchildren. (it's a Green GMT800)

and no......he didn't put rims on it either.

I get the point you are trying to prove, but that stereotype is just as lame as mullets and Camaros, gold chains and Corvettes.

So how bout you do this site a favor and keep comments like that off your keyboard and in your mind.

Thx

Thanks

Marty, Arlington did not win out over Janesville in 1997 to produce GMT400s. Janesville made those, as well as GMT800 and GMT900. Also, Janesville is not shuttered, it is idle and on stand-by. Janesville's announcement will come soon. Bet on it.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

You have no idea who I am or how much money I have, nor do you have any idea of how old I am. None of those people you mentioned can go qualify for a $70k car at any dealership let alone a Cadillac dealer. I don't call people like you snobs, why when I am most likely more well off than you are? I call people like you misinformed, and sadly misguided. I could buy any car in the class Range Rover included, which I owned prior to my Escalade as well as a Lexus SUV. I chose the Escalade just like a lot of my exotic car driving friends did.

Your level of alleged ignorance is beyond belief, I usually find that those who are always calling others something...really subconciously feel that is what they are....your level of respect is appalling and something I guarantee does not carry to real life. Don't say or do anything virtually that you would not do in reality is a good thing to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Parlay84 View Post
    I normally just come here to get my GM info and read some post for humor/entertainment but you are really coming off as a prick.

It was awhile ago, but somewhere I read that the average income of someone that purchases an Escalade is close to $100k/yr. I could be wrong but if it's true then I'm certain they don't fall into the category I bolded.

Thay would include my black uncle who has never stayed in the hood, is retired from Dupont, owns his own house, and really bought his "Slade" (the correct nickname) because he wanted something that stands out and had enough room for his two grandchildren. (it's a Green GMT800)

and no......he didn't put rims on it either.

I get the point you are trying to prove, but that stereotype is just as lame as mullets and Camaros, gold chains and Corvettes.

So how bout you do this site a favor and keep comments like that off your keyboard and in your mind.

Thx
    Its amazing that comments like this, which got Black Copperhead banned are still allowed on this site....some of these comments are more than stereotypes they are borderline racist. I am 30 , I do not fall into the typical Escalade customer.....I think that most will find that all of those stereotypes that you think buy Escalades don't. It takes excellent credit and good income to buy a $70k car....because no one needs a $70k car.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Back to the thread, I wander if GM will stick its "light" hybrid system under the new BOFs. Other than diesel and weight reduction (only so much you can do to take weight out, unless you get creative in choice of materials) not much else can be done to get the mpgs up.................If they do,and they will do to CAFE, they will not be able to keep them on the dealer lots..........mark my words.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information