GM Names New Vice President for Customer Experience

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Names New Vice President for Customer Experience

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    February 7, 2012

Alicia Boler-Davis was appointed Tuesday to U.S. vice president, Customer Experience, responsible for leading General Motors’ effort to make the way customers are treated a driver for repeat purchases of Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac products and services.

Boler-Davis, whose appointment is effective immediately, will report to GM North America President Mark Reuss.

Boler-Davis, currently plant manager, Orion Assembly and Pontiac Stamping in Michigan, replaces Paul Copses, who was appointed to the newly created position in 2011. Copses will assume leadership of GM Customer Care and Aftersales Global SAP project, a key enabler to achieving world-class customer service.

“The breakthrough change that Alicia led as plant manager at Orion Assembly, while launching the all-new Chevy Sonic and Buick Verano, needs to be brought to our customer experience,” said Reuss. “What I admire about her is her candor with leaders and strength of commitment she engenders among her team.”

Boler-Davis started her GM career in 1994 and has served in various engineering leadership positions including Vehicle Line Director/Vehicle Chief Engineer, Small Car; Plant Manager for both Lansing Consolidated Operations and Arlington Assembly. She earned a bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering from Northwestern University and a master’s degree in Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 651 Posts
    My Ride
    15Soul+; 01 PT LTD

Re: GM Names New Vice President for Customer Experience

Soooo...let me get this straight. It's 2012 and GM is just figuring out that someone needs to pay attention to customers?

You just can't make this **** up.

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC stratojet's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been with GM for a few decades and listen to this:

- GM always had Customer satisfaction or experience managers.
    - This is in fact the most useless overpaid job in the corporation: here's a little insight of their duties:

A) Study reports and have powerpoints presentations ad naseam around any question in the CSI questionnaire

B) Have all Dealers go through a Walt Disney training of some sort . GM is not an Hotel or vacation resort, but believe me tons of seminars coming.

C) Make sure that the Dealers are guilty, not GM , when we can't retain customers. The CSI is the easy way out.

If you look at Consumer Reports, you see that there is no correlation between CSI and market share. In fact, Toyota used to have the worst customer satisfaction toward the Dealers in the 90,s and 2000 years, Buick , Saturn and even Cadillac were among the best. Look at what happened in 2009 .....

- My recommandations:

1- Use whatever ther is on the market to evaluate the performance with our customers, this is free BTW. Consumer Reports, Edmunds, TrueDelta etc

2- Stay away from what customers say; look at what they do in the Marketplace. It has nothing to do with CSI

3- Get rid of all the parasits research companies and so-called consultants in CSI. They will borrow your watch to tell the time and charge you for it.

4- Give the money saved (Walt Disney, external firm like Marritz and unproductive manpower within GM studying CSI and having powerpoints among themselves) directly to the customers.

5- Quote from one of seminars I attended in the 80's (at the time, the problem, it seems, was that we did not work as a team: so we had this Pecos Saturn type of seminar out in some cottages int a deep forest, so we could not escape!)

"If you keep on doing what you have always done, you will always get what you have gotten"
    If you don't know what to tell your boss, do an action plan.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I always wondered why there was NEVER any follow-up by GM when I marked my new vehicle delivery survey as "not satisfied" with a vehicle problem at delivery, or the service survey as "not satisified" when the problem was not corrected during the first or second service visit.

Some GM dealers do a follow-up telephone call for service (usually by a secretary or cashier). When I would tell them the car had not been fixed correctly, I would usually get the, "Oh - I'm sorry to hear that. Bring it back." It was always obvious that they had no authority and were just making calls that they were assigned to do. They didn't care about what the problem really was.

I always wondered if GM contacted new vehicle purchasers to speak with them in person and ask what GM or the dealer could do better.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

3- Get rid of all the parasits research companies and so-called consultants in CSI. They will borrow your watch to tell the time and charge you for it.
    Awesome. Post of the Quarter candidate, Stratojet.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MikesZ's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I know Honda takes their satisfaction surveys very seriously, and they do both phone and email surveys following sales and service. I also know from people that work for Honda that they regulate their dealers closely. IIRC, Honda has the highest (percentage) customer retention rate in the business. So, something out of all of that must be translating through to the customer.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Sounds good.

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 Dart Rallye,87 Fiero 3800SC

"C) Make sure that the Dealers are guilty, not GM , when we can't retain customers. The CSI is the easy way out."

I know this was/is their attitude. Working at the dealer level for over 35 years you get a feeling that GM doesnt give a darn. I have said for a long time that their attitude is screw the dealers, screw the customers and screw the employees.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Cadillac CTS-V

I have no doubt that Alicia Boler-Davis was good as a plant manager and engineer. I do not know her or have any objections to her personally. However, this appears to be a move to groom her for an even higher position in the near future because she has no qualifications for the job. This is an example of the new GM making the same mistakes as the old GM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Another related story is saying they want to make the car-buying experience like going to Disneyworld.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

I don't know about that. It sounds like changes are coming, though.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC stratojet's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chassis Guy View Post
    Another related story is saying they want to make the car-buying experience like going to Disneyworld.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

I don't know about that. It sounds like changes are coming, though.

This is what is taking place right now.
    To be honest Disney has a good philosophy on how to treat their customers. Many Hotels chains and other businesses are going through their training. Mind you, a stay at Disney is not exactly the same commitment than buying a $50000.00 car.

However, this is a distraction for management.

-Build good appealing and reliable cars
    -Make them simple enough to repair so the Dealers can't mess them up
    -Save on expensive programs like Disney, and give the $$$ to the customers directly.
    -Market is price sensitive more than Disney sensitive.
    If you don't know what to tell your boss, do an action plan.

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

If the market was price sensitive, why would people have bought Hondas and Toyotas over Chevrolets and Chryslers?

I'd say - keep prices as high as marketably possible, but rather direct money towards aftersales experience improvement - like redesigning vehicles and components so that they are easier to service and fix to keep dealers within the "normal repair time" and make their service operations efficient and profitable the FIRST time the customer comes in. GM loses many customers on the sales stage, but apparently they lose even more when the ones that have bought the cars come in for service.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Customer service at a car dealer, to me, is the following:

1. A clean, airy, modern looking dealership with a solid stock of whatever car I am looking at. Cars like the ZR-1 can be the exception, but a 6 speed manual Camaro SS should not. Every dealer should have at least 1 in stock.

2. All the sales people in business casual, and with a simple but clear name tag. No one with exposed tattoos, guys who aren't clean shaven or neatly trimmed facial hair.

3. Friendly sales staff who ask pertinent questions, but in a friendly manner and then let the customer do the talking. Most people know what they want when they walk into a dealer now. All the info is on the internet. DO NOT treat your customers as if they are stupid. And this happens WAY too often at GM dealers I have visited.

4. Sales staff who know AS MUCH as the customer does about the car they are shopping for, if not much, MUCH more. Every question a customer has about any car that dealer sells, the sales staff should know the correct answer off their head, or have a quick reference to find that answer. DON'T feed a customer BS!!!! This should include every standard and optional feature on every car, color combinations, and drivetrain combinations. If you are going to sell cars for a living, KNOW THEM!

5. PRICE GOUGING!!! If there's a hot car, like the Camaro ZL1 or Corvette ZR1, the dealer doesn't have to come down off sticker but they should NEVER tack on the infamous "market adjustment". That will turn people off faster than a light switch.

6. Be fair and courteous, and HONEST, during the purchase negotiations. I know the salespeople want to make the sale, but don't pressure a customer to buy the car right this minute or throw outragous doc fees and other ancilary fees into the mix. GM needs to put a crack down on any and every dealer who does this.

7. At delivery time, the sales person should turn off their cell phone, tell the desk receptionist to hold all their calls, and let the other sales people take customers. For the hour or two the customer is there signing papers, transerring money, and looking over the car, their sales person should make them feel like they're the only person in the world and thank them for buying the car from them. Going over every feature on the car, pointing out things that are important or very different from what was on their previous car, and helping the customer set their personal radio and door lock/unlock preferences if the car has it.

If a dealer can't follow these procedures then they're not doing a very good job with customer service.

Thanks
    My Ride
    96 Viper GTS/11 MINI Cooper S

GMs service departments are the absolute bowels of hell. I am 45, have been a lifelong GM customer, and I am finally at the point I can't take GM dealership service anymore. My two most recent brand new GM purchases were a Solstice in 2006....Which the service was SO bad at the 3 local Pontiac dealers I traded it in after two years on a 2009 Saturn Sky ONLY so I could go to Saturn for my warranty work. Then, GM closes Saturn so I'm forced back to the local Chevy dealers for my warranty work! Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine Texas takes 3 visits for a bad "miss" to finally change the spark plugs. Unfortunately, something was dropped in the cylinder when this was done and given back to me, so I had to give it right back and they replaced the head and piston. They gave it back to me with a coolant line not hooked up and hood so crooked I could not open the passenger side door. Took it back for visit 5, and they PARK MY CAR OUTSIDE FOR THE WEEKEND WITH THE TOP DOWN. They give it back and when I get home, try to open my door to get out, and door catches on the hood (because it is SO CROOKED) and bends the door and hood and knocks the paint off the parts. This also matches the giant gashs in the paint on the passenger side door and rear fender where THEY LET A TOOL CART ROLL INTO MY CAR. So, I take it back AGAIN, and they spend 3 weeks repainting the majority of my new car to repair all the damage and replacing the two fender liners they cracked. I get it back and there is a DENT IN THE HOOD and the paint quality is a total joke. I change the oil, it is FULL of metal. I take sample to them, and I was advised to SELL THE CAR.

I have proof of EVERY thing I just wrote. It is documented as it happened on the skyroadster forum with photos. THIS is how I've been treated by GMs dealerships. I need to email this lady and see what she thinks about my situation.
    Toyota--The Official Vehicle of Terrorist Everywhere

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
    GMs service departments are the absolute bowels of hell. I am 45, have been a lifelong GM customer, and I am finally at the point I can't take GM dealership service anymore. My two most recent brand new GM purchases were a Solstice in 2006....Which the service was SO bad at the 3 local Pontiac dealers I traded it in after two years on a 2009 Saturn Sky ONLY so I could go to Saturn for my warranty work. Then, GM closes Saturn so I'm forced back to the local Chevy dealers for my warranty work! Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine Texas takes 3 visits for a bad "miss" to finally change the spark plugs. Unfortunately, something was dropped in the cylinder when this was done and given back to me, so I had to give it right back and they replaced the head and piston. They gave it back to me with a coolant line not hooked up and hood so crooked I could not open the passenger side door. Took it back for visit 5, and they PARK MY CAR OUTSIDE FOR THE WEEKEND WITH THE TOP DOWN. They give it back and when I get home, try to open my door to get out, and door catches on the hood (because it is SO CROOKED) and bends the door and hood and knocks the paint off the parts. This also matches the giant gashs in the paint on the passenger side door and rear fender where THEY LET A TOOL CART ROLL INTO MY CAR. So, I take it back AGAIN, and they spend 3 weeks repainting the majority of my new car to repair all the damage and replacing the two fender liners they cracked. I get it back and there is a DENT IN THE HOOD and the paint quality is a total joke. I change the oil, it is FULL of metal. I take sample to them, and I was advised to SELL THE CAR.

I have proof of EVERY thing I just wrote. It is documented as it happened on the skyroadster forum with photos. THIS is how I've been treated by GMs dealerships. I need to email this lady and see what she thinks about my situation.
    I would try to contact someone high up in corporate GM if I were you. Obviously you have a terrible dealer.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information