GM Mulls Flagship New York Showroom As NY Market Share Falls Below 10%

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM Mulls Flagship New York Showroom As NY Market Share Falls Below 10%

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

GM Mulls Flagship New York Showroom As NY Market Share Falls Below 10%

Link: http://www.businessweek.com/autos/au...ll_street.html

Business Week: Posted by: David Welch on June 28, 2010

General Motors realizes it has a nagging little marketing problem as it prepares for an initial public stock offering. The analysts, portfolio managers and potential investors that they are hoping will like their stock aren’t big customers of the company’s cars. So GM is mulling over a plan to open up a GM salon in Manhattan, say three people who know about the discussions. The company would rent or buy a building, outfit it with imagery for its four brands and showcase the latest cars.

The idea is to get GM’s best models in a place where high-fashion New Yorkers, tourists and high-rolling investors might walk by. GM does poorly in the New York metro area. GM’s market share in the New York area was just 9.6% in the first quarter, compared with 18.7% in the U.S. GM’s share in the New York area was 10% last year, down from 13% in 2008, according to Experian Automotive, which tracks vehicle registrations.

GM thinks that the salon would show investors and car buyers that the company’s newest models are competitive. Audi has a similar display called the Audi Forum at the corner of 47th Street and Park Avenue. Audi keeps five cars on hand, including a vintage Le Mans series race car. Audi has events at the Forum. They even kept it open so Audiphiles could watch the entire 24 Hours at Le Mans race last year.

For GM, this does create a bit of a dilemma. GM wants to get in front of the hip and the well-heeled. But is this the right way to do it? The Forum works for Audi because it’s a house for just one brand. There is nary a Volkswagen in sight. GM would have four brands together at a time when the company is trying to give Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC some individuality.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: GM Mulls Flagship New York Showroom As NY Market Share Falls Below 10%

A 9.6% market share in one of the largest markets in the United States? Just incredible.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow...they must read GMI.

Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Malibu LT2 V6

I don't think Toronto is much better in terms of market share and they just closed so many good long time dealers, I think it will make it worse. If your local dealer closes and the next closest one is an extra 10-15 minutes away, you start thinking about a change.

I think GM closed too many dealers.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC stratojet's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as leasing is not back, it will be impossible to compete, especially in the luxury end of the market. In my area, Montreal, I see a lot of BMW's, Mercedes and Audi's driven by mid 30's customers. At least 55% are leased vehicles as most of these owners could not afford to finance the entire value of the vehicle.
    Same thing is going on with Toyota and to a lesser extent Honda. Near 50% of their sales are leasing.
    In retrospect, the biggest mistake Wagoner did is selling GMAC to avoid the unavoidable. The price of a car is sometime the equivalent of a small house; financing is an integral part of the sale process.
    If you don't know what to tell your boss, do an action plan.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

You can lease Cadillacs now.

So, should this be "flagship" dealership that inspires architecture at dealerships in your hometown...or should this be purely a branding strategy, with different flagships in different neighborhoods depending on the brand?

Buick has a fighting chance. I'm very impressed.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Cadillac CTS-V

So GM is mulling over a plan to open up a GM salon in Manhattan, say three people who know about the discussions. The company would rent or buy a building, outfit it with imagery for its four brands and showcase the latest cars.

Gee, maybe GM should repurchase the General Motors Building or at least the first floor show room on Central Park south. That is why they had it there in the first place.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

On the bright side, that 9.6% likely represents a lot of midsize SUV so at least GM has a decent foothold in one part of the market.

The problem here is that GM car ownership is pretty much "frowned on".

Thanks

Wow GM should consult Sigma for advice. They need a major urban marketing push ASAP.

The problem here is that GM car ownership is pretty much "frowned on". What njtex said here is the truth, which is quite unfortunate. People in NY/NJ/Conn will buy Traverses and Equinox's but will not dare put their backsides in Malibu's Cobalts or Impalas.
    Last edited by Evo69; 06-29-2010 at 08:53 AM.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

Build it, and put in a CTS-V, Regal, Camaro, and Acadia or Terrain if it's a small shop much like the Audi one. All brands would be represented, and put in a '65 Riviera as a heritage touch...
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

i can see caddilac, buick, GMC, but not chevy. chevy only if they start producing some real city cars, compacts that are credible and desirable. this would be a good idea but GM is just not a premium brand. people who live in manhatten with cars are typically people that are wealthy and drive a benz, lexus, bmw or jaguar that can afford that cost of a garage. or a person that doesnt care what they drive and parks it on the street and does not cry over dings and scratches.

what GM does need to do is create a better dealer system. everything i get parts for my grandfathers VW Jetta i am greeted by a friendlier service center and wants to help me and seems well informed. i walk into my chevy dealer and its like i am teaching or telling them what i need and they are denying the part exists till i bring in the part number

Alan
    Current:
    2013 SRX 3.6 AWD
    2012 Equinox LT2 2.4 AWD
    2008 Saturn Vue XE 2wd 4cyl
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer LS 4200, 4wd
    1989 Geo Tracker base 4wd, 5spd, convertible 1.6

Past:
    2004 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3400, 1986 Mercury Cougar GS 3.8, 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 3.8,
    1992 Mercury Sable GS 3.0, 2003 Chevy Impala LS 3800, 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE 3.3
    2012 Impala LTZ 3.6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    A 9.6% market share in one of the largest markets in the United States? Just incredible.
    At least I can say I contributed to the 9.6% share.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

GM needs a "flagship" sedan to display. How is it that Hyundai is about to sell a Benz counterpart with the new Equus http://www.jdpower.com/autos/car-pho...dai/Equus/2011 and Cadillac can't produce anything like this ? The CTS, Silverado/Sierra, and Corvette are the only cars that GM produces in which styling matches the competition. All others are lacking in some area... like a rear three quarter view.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 johnny smallblock's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by carbarrister View Post
    Gee, maybe GM should repurchase the General Motors Building or at least the first floor show room on Central Park south. That is why they had it there in the first place.
    Why'd they ever give it up, is a better question. They can't get it back; CBS broadcasts the early show from the former showroom.

And the building is on 5th Ave, not Central Park South, but you're only off by half a block or so. Apple set up shop in the pavillion space and the sidewalks are absolutely packed with people from all over the world. Of course, not a lot of New Yorkers, so maybe they should open up somewhere else.
    Current .......................R.I.P.
    2013 Chevy Spark.............1999 H-nda Elite (stolen)
    2006 Ford Escape Hybrid...1996 Caprice LT1 (donated when gas hit $4)
    1972 Cutlass Supreme......1996 H-nda Elite (wrecked in a wipeout)
    .....................................1995 H-nda Civic (T-boned by a police car)
    .....................................1986 Plymouth Colt Vista (died)
    .....................................1978 Chevy Mailbu (sold)

Thanks

Your right why did they ever give up the GM building or at least it's show room? I believe that FAO Schwartz is in it now, but that had to be one of the best walk by show rooms in the world.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information