GM Launches New Chinese Brand

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Launches New Chinese Brand

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Growing demand has spurred a new brand out of GM's Chinese JV.
    www.gminsidenews.com
    July 18, 2010
    By: Nick Saporito

Baojun's official logo.

Today General Motors announced that, in conjunction with its Chinese joint-venture, it would be starting up another brand in China. The joint-venture has been for mini-commercial vehicles and consists of GM, SAIC and Wuling. The new brand has been dubbed "Baojun" and will be sold at Wuling dealerships throughout China.

The joint-venture claims that escalating demand for affordable vehicles has caused them to initiate the Baojun brand. According to GMI sources, Baojun will be marketed as an entry-level brand as the Chevrolet brand continues to move up-market globally.

“Baojun is being positioned as a reliable partner with an image that is confident, smart and dependable,” said Shen Yang, General Manager of SAIC-GM-Wuling. “We aim to surpass customer expectations by creating a brand that combines world-class quality with low ownership costs.”

According to GM, the joint-venture has developed one vehicle for Baojun. GM declined to provide any details on what type of vehicle the brand will launch with. Sources have indicated that Baojun will leverage retiring GM platforms to keep costs low and provide entry-level vehicles.

Sources have also told GMI that the GM management is looking into eventually spreading the new brand to other growth markets. Said markets would likely include India and Russia.

Baojun is the Chinese translation for "treasured horse."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: GM Launches New Chinese Brand

Nice

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Why?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    Why?
    China's car market is currently growing, however for how much longer?

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Why?
    It's GM, you can never have enough brands. Plus it worked so well last time.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by throwback View Post
    It's GM, you can never have enough brands. Plus it worked so well last time.
    This is a level below Chevrolet. Its using old platforms and old technology to provide vehicles to everyone.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I'd rather them do this than water down the Chevrolet brand. And I guess they figured Wuling was just for vans. So it's not that bad.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar GM-Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Impala

Why?
    Because the old GM is still alive and kicking. They see an opportunity and take it, they want to be the biggest and will do everything to do it.
    Sold:
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (105k mi.).
    1997 Saab 900 2.0 Turbo(150k+ mi.)
    Retired:
    1987 Chevrolet Silverado 10 (retired 11/12/2007; 219,986 mi.)
    Dead:
    1983 Datsun 280 ZX by Nissan (146,857 mi.)
    1986 Lincoln Mercury Lynx (64K mi.)
    1979 Chrysler Cordoba w/ Corinthian Leather seats (130K mi.)
    1976 Dodge Charger (130K mi.)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,202 Times in 2,282 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Maz6 Touring; 01 PT LTD

They should name one of the models Mustang, one Cavalier, one Charger, one Impala...
    17 Maz6

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me. Alice Roosevelt Longworth
    It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. H. L. Mencken
    I failed to make the chess team because of my height. Woody Allen

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar GM-Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Impala

I think it is a good move because China is divided up into China A and China B. China A is the developed country we'd expect in a developed country. China A consists of roughly 250 - 300 million people. China B consists of everyone else, upwards of a BILLION people. People who are farmers in the rural sections of the country that have developed some savings and want to enter the 20th century; and no I didn't say 21 century. Wuling is already huge in China because they sell to the rural folks, now GM is in another venture to sell a "Geo" version of old platforms to this traditional, but undeveloped demographic. They are thing to fill all wants of the consumer as they did in the U.S. Alfred Sloan and the old GM are still alive and obviously prospering.
    Sold:
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (105k mi.).
    1997 Saab 900 2.0 Turbo(150k+ mi.)
    Retired:
    1987 Chevrolet Silverado 10 (retired 11/12/2007; 219,986 mi.)
    Dead:
    1983 Datsun 280 ZX by Nissan (146,857 mi.)
    1986 Lincoln Mercury Lynx (64K mi.)
    1979 Chrysler Cordoba w/ Corinthian Leather seats (130K mi.)
    1976 Dodge Charger (130K mi.)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GM-Joe View Post
    Because the old GM is still alive and kicking. They see an opportunity and take it, they want to be the biggest and will do everything to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GM-Joe View Post
    I think it is a good move because China is divided up into China A and China B. China A is the developed country we'd expect in a developed country. China A consists of roughly 250 - 300 million people. China B consists of everyone else, upwards of a BILLION people. People who are farmers in the rural sections of the country that have developed some savings and want to enter the 20th century; and no I didn't say 21 century. Wuling is already huge in China because they sell to the rural folks, now GM is in another venture to sell a "Geo" version of old platforms to this traditional, but undeveloped demographic. They are thing to fill all wants of the consumer as they did in the U.S. Alfred Sloan and the old GM are still alive and obviously prospering.
    Which is it that you are saying??? LOL

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,026 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Growing demand has spurred a new brand out of GM's Chinese JV.
    www.gminsidenews.com
    July 18, 2010
    By: Nick Saporito

Today General Motors announced that, in conjunction with its Chinese joint-venture, it would be starting up another brand in China. The joint-venture has been for mini-commercial vehicles and consists of GM, SAIC and Wuling. The new brand has been dubbed "Baojun" and will be sold at Wuling dealerships throughout China.

The joint-venture claims that escalating demand for affordable vehicles has caused them to initiate the Baojun brand. According to GMI sources, Baojun will be marketed as an entry-level brand as the Chevrolet brand continues to move up-market globally.

“Baojun is being positioned as a reliable partner with an image that is confident, smart and dependable,” said Shen Yang, General Manager of SAIC-GM-Wuling. “We aim to surpass customer expectations by creating a brand that combines world-class quality with low ownership costs.”

According to GM, the joint-venture has developed one vehicle for Baojun. GM declined to provide any details on what type of vehicle the brand will launch with. Sources have indicated that Baojun will leverage retiring GM platforms to keep costs low and provide entry-level vehicles.

Sources have also told GMI that the GM management is looking into eventually spreading the new brand to other growth markets. Said markets would likely include India and Russia.

Baojun is the Chinese translation for "treasured horse."
    “We aim to surpass customer expectations by creating a brand that combines world-class quality with low ownership costs.” Sounds like what GM should be doing with Chevrolet.

I am not surprised that there will be a new brand for the Chinese market and it was more than likely pushed for from the SAIC/Wuling side - makes sense, a Chinese brand for a market the size of China will do well going forward although it also means it will be a brand that will eventually find it's way to the U.S. market. If GM works it right it could sell Baojun brand vehicles in Europe, similar to the Dacia brand that has done so well with a sturdy, proven design at a low price.

Wonder what "retiring GM platforms" will be offered, GM offers the Aveo and Cruze in China as Chevrolets and the Sail looks alot like a Spark to me, but not sure if it is based on the new Spark or something else.

I would think GM would lean more towards small ex-Opels to avoid duplicating Chevrolet's lineup and could use some Brazilian market "Chevrolets" as Baojun models if Chevrolet moves upmarket with the next Spark and Aveos becoming Baojun models. GM could also offer the next gen Agile as a Baojun model and the Combo and Montana trucks as Wulings matching up Wuling and GMC's smaller models as well to broaden their global market.
    Last edited by SierraGS; 07-18-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks

This is a smart move.

This way, if Chevrolet wants to move upmarket, it isn't hampered by low-cost products like the Sail...

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Pontiac G6X Coupe

This joint venture really irks me ...
    when they sold thier majority stake, they moved sideways
    now they are stepping backwards creating an all new brand that will cost millions to get off the ground...So now Chevy and Baojun will be fighting for marketing money ...

They should have just kept Chevy ... China Chevy is no China Buick ... the Chevy name has no prestige there and should never move upmarket because it would then be fighting with Buick
    Check Out Hundreds Of Diecast Car Models And Other Cool Collectibles At My Ebay Store

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
    This is a level below Chevrolet. Its using old platforms and old technology to provide vehicles to everyone.
    Pontiac resurrected?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information