GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Ignition Switch Death Toll Rises to 42

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  KingLeonidas 
#1 ·
GM ignition switch death toll rises to 42.
USA TODAY
By: Greg Gardner (Detroit Free Press)
December 15, 2014

The number of claims found eligible for compensation for deaths caused by General Motors' defective ignition switches rose to 42 last week, according to the latest report from lawyer Kenneth Feinberg.

Feinberg and his staff also have determined seven people who suffered severe injuries and 51 who incurred injuries that were treated within 48 hours are eligible for some type of payment.

The total number of claims submitted to the GM Ignition Compensation Fund rose by 64 to 2,326. Of those, 306 were ruled ineligible and 568 lacked sufficient evidence., 907 lacked any documentation and 445 are under review.

Feinberg has set a deadline of Jan. 31 for claims to be submitted.

Feinberg, who oversaw compensation funds in the wake of September 11 and BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill, has discretion to determine the amount of each eligible compensation settlement. GM has no role in determining what a victim receives.

The automaker has estimated the cost at the end of the process to be between $400 million and $600 million.

See less See more
#21 ·
Just a thought.................

"dead" is a word one should try and not use, considering the circumstances.

Why is garbage like this linked to the front of this site?

Really? It's been hashed over repeatedly and there are no experts here. For a while this site was somewhat respectable, that's over.

Oh I forgot, this site got bought out. It's got to pay off now.

Site and the people clinging to the story have jumped the shark.

Pathetic.

Post phony outrage now.
This was a story from the USA Today on Monday; it’s higher than the "acknowledged" deaths that were in a story last week.

USA Today didn't kill anybody, why are you shooting at the messenger?

-----------------------

................there are no experts here...............

How do you know?
Looks like we got on right here!

I find it very hard to believe that the white Cobalt accident pictured in the original post was caused by a faulty ignition switch.

#19 ·
$600.00 million, was for claims settled internally. they took an additional $900.00 millions to cover recalls. Clearly, they think they have enough insurance to cover additional payments otherwise they would have charged it to their books for ‘litigation settlement allowance’.
Despite taking these hits and loosing money in Europe, overall they are doing well, Revenue is up and they are not in the red.

Are you contending that they are failing to show potential liabs on their books?

#9 ·
Agreed. The resources (people) GM's devoting to this effort would seem to be intended to get it substantially behind them in a reasonable time frame and get on with business. I would like to think that internal measures/procedures/protocol have been beefed up to keep something like this from ever occurring again.

#10 ·
If that car in the picture is one then what the hell was the driver doing or on. I don't care what anyone says even if you turn the ignition off you can still steer and brake these cars. Motortrend did a test to prove it and said yes its hard to stop and steer but know different than a car without power steering and any driver should be able to control the car. I think people are now just using this as a excuse and you have lawyers mouths watering over this.

I feel sorry for the families. Unfortunately because GM covered this up its making pain for them. The good thing is now any other company will now make sure if they make a part change they change the part number.

#13 ·
If that car in the picture is one then what the hell was the driver doing or on. I don't care what anyone says even if you turn the ignition off you can still steer and brake these cars. Motortrend did a test to prove it and said yes its hard to stop and steer but know different than a car without power steering and any driver should be able to control the car. I think people are now just using this as a excuse and you have lawyers mouths watering over this.

I feel sorry for the families. Unfortunately because GM covered this up its making pain for them. The good thing is now any other company will now make sure if they make a part change they change the part number.
Agreed on all counts. Horrible all the way around.

One thing I wanted to comment on specifically is what I bolded. I am also curious if the driver of the vehicle picture was distracted and driving one handed. I made an error while coasting and accidentally slammed my mid-2000s Chevy into reverse while going around 75MPH. The car shut off and lost power steering, but I was easily able to navigate to the side of the road. While my steering was definitely more difficult, I was still able to steer and brake. If the driver had been preoccupied with something else, I could easily see it resulting in a wreck. Fortunately for me, I did have both hands on the wheel when it occurred, and no one else was on the road with me. I shudder to think what could of happened had I only had 1 hand on the wheel.

#11 ·
i understand the risk of the key turning off.

but i do not get is why people keep so many keys on one ring. you are driving a car that goes over bumps and the key ring jumps up and down, the direction to turn off. my dad was telling me 12 years ago this could happen and told us not to keep so many rings on one ring. it can wear over time.

my 2012 impala, one complaint i had with it when i bought it was the ignition was very stiff. yet its on the recall list

#12 ·
Why is garbage like this linked to the front of this site?

Really? It's been hashed over repeatedly and there are no experts here. For a while this site was somewhat respectable, that's over.

Oh I forgot, this site got bought out. It's got to pay off now.

Site and the people clinging to the story have jumped the shark.

Pathetic.

Post phony outrage now.

#23 ·
mchicha
Its already been factored into their financials and insurance etc etc. Yes its bad yes its expensive but those that have claims will be compensated, those who want to slog it out in court will do it. this is such a dead horse from a news stand point.
This(thread/article/ what I discussing ) about the actual repairs itself..........it's the legal liability cost which has far from been ''factored in'', and far greater than $600 million non-cash charge.
You should know GM has a long history of not being ''Realistic'' with projection planing(Economy,Opel, Cadillac,PSA,Product Volume/Pricing equipment ) which piss both Bush and Obama Administrations off.
As far as ''Revenue growth'' that is more flat than anything despite an upmarket cycle.

PS:GM is cash flow negative for Fiscal 2014.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.