GM expands diesels in U.S. to meet fuel economy targets

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM expands diesels in U.S. to meet fuel economy targets

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

GM expands diesels in U.S. to meet fuel economy targets

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...gets/98012048/

General Motors Co. is expanding its diesel lineup to 10 Chevrolet and GMC vehicles by the 2018 model year. It says the clean-diesel powertrains will help it meet carbon dioxide emissions levels and fuel economy requirements.

Automakers are pressed to meet federal fuel economy mandates that call for corporate average fuel economy of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025.

The Detroit automaker said it sold 757,000 diesel vehicles globally last year. It now is rolling out a new 2017 Cruze Diesel, which gives consumers another choice, said Dan Nicholson, GM’s vice president of global propulsion systems.

The Cruze Diesel is powered by a new Ecotec 1.6-liter turbo diesel engine that has been estimated by the Environmental Protection Agency at 52 miles per gallon highway fuel economy with a manual transmission. That big number, which Nicholson called a “wow” factor and a reason for purchase, is the highest highway fuel economy of any nonhybrid or nonelectric vehicle. Mike Siegrist, assistant chief engineer for the Cruze Diesel engine, said customers may exceed the EPA highway figure.

GM and Chevrolet see an opportunity to win some Volkswagen AG diesel customers in the wake of the German automaker’s emissions cheating scandal.

“The outlook for diesel in the U.S.A. is actually promising,” Nicholson said. “We definitely see certain segments reaching 10 percent penetration and yes, an upside potential of 10 percent overall.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,362 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: GM expands diesels in U.S. to meet fuel economy targets

If, the PSA takeover of Opel/Vauxhall goes ahead then I presume that PSA will fit their engines as soon as they ramp up production - leaving GM Powertrain Torino to find outlets for it's production - whether Cruze diesel volume is enough on it's own to justify GM Powertrain Torinos existence in an otherwise GM-free Europe remains to be seen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (02-18-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC M7Mayberry's Avatar
    Thanks

How ironic would it be if EPA fuel economy mandates turn out to be the savior of diesels and manual transmissions in the US? Until electric, self-driving cars take over, of course.
    2007 Saturn Vue, 5-speed Manual
    1999 Chevy S-10, 5-speed Manual

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M7Mayberry For This Useful Post:

377Z (02-17-2017),AMERICA 123 (02-19-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M7Mayberry View Post
    How ironic would it be if EPA fuel economy mandates turn out to be the savior of diesels and manual transmissions in the US? Until electric, self-driving cars take over, of course.
    I can certainly see diesel engines....but lately the 8 and 9 speed autos have been posting equal or better mileage than the manuals.

I'm afraid the manual transmission is going to be primarily enthusiast-oriented.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 826 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    02 Sierra HT, 69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post
    I can certainly see diesel engines....but lately the 8 and 9 speed autos have been posting equal or better mileage than the manuals.

I'm afraid the manual transmission is going to be primarily enthusiast-oriented.
    I'm still trying to figure out how the 10-speed ZL1 gets slightly worse fuel economy than the 6-speed manual model or how the 9-speed Cruze diesel is rated at ~4 MPG less than the manual trans model. Any guesses?
    Hidden Content

"I'm a glorified truffle pig, not a clairvoyant." Logan (2017)

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    If, the PSA takeover of Opel/Vauxhall goes ahead then I presume that PSA will fit their engines as soon as they ramp up production - leaving GM Powertrain Torino to find outlets for it's production - whether Cruze diesel volume is enough on it's own to justify GM Powertrain Torinos existence in an otherwise GM-free Europe remains to be seen.
    GM Torino is nothing that can't be replaced by the work done in Pontiac, MI. GM isn't abandoning Europe, they are just abandoning a high cost labor footprint and loser brand in Opel. Unfortunately they'll lose the vaunted the Vauxhaul brand, but that is the price one has to pay I guess.
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 maxaccel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...gets/98012048/

General Motors Co. is expanding its diesel lineup to 10 Chevrolet and GMC vehicles by the 2018 model year. It says the clean-diesel powertrains will help it meet carbon dioxide emissions levels and fuel economy requirements.

Automakers are pressed to meet federal fuel economy mandates that call for corporate average fuel economy of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025.

The Detroit automaker said it sold 757,000 diesel vehicles globally last year. It now is rolling out a new 2017 Cruze Diesel, which gives consumers another choice, said Dan Nicholson, GM’s vice president of global propulsion systems.

The Cruze Diesel is powered by a new Ecotec 1.6-liter turbo diesel engine that has been estimated by the Environmental Protection Agency at 52 miles per gallon highway fuel economy with a manual transmission. That big number, which Nicholson called a “wow” factor and a reason for purchase, is the highest highway fuel economy of any nonhybrid or nonelectric vehicle. Mike Siegrist, assistant chief engineer for the Cruze Diesel engine, said customers may exceed the EPA highway figure.

GM and Chevrolet see an opportunity to win some Volkswagen AG diesel customers in the wake of the German automaker’s emissions cheating scandal.

“The outlook for diesel in the U.S.A. is actually promising,” Nicholson said. “We definitely see certain segments reaching 10 percent penetration and yes, an upside potential of 10 percent overall.”
    Clean diesel.
    Isnt that bit of an oxymoron,,kinda like clean coal !?
    Wouldnt more hybrid electrics ala Volt be more effective solution to better mpg,,unless they just wanted to keep customers hooked on fossil fuels

Geting over 50 mpg shouldnt be a problem,how about we learn from the past
    2008 Silverado long box,2wd ,cool white ,4.8 v8, air,locker,..120.000k

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how the 10-speed ZL1 gets slightly worse fuel economy than the 6-speed manual model or how the 9-speed Cruze diesel is rated at ~4 MPG less than the manual trans model. Any guesses?
    Weight, plus there's still pumping losses in a t/c trans even in a lock-lock version, and still a slight converter flare on changes, all of which is enough playing around the margins of economy. Unless you drive around with your foot on the clutch a manual still is more efficient.

The diesel Colorado manual is actually torque-limited here to keep the clutch alive, and possibly the auto diesel Cruze might be to keep the FWD transaxle alive in the lower gears, that's a heap of torque to punch through. It's like the LFX - in US FWD applications like the Impala and people movers, peak torque is 5000+ rpm. In Australian RWD apps, peak torque is 2800rpm. Less torque = more fuel use and potentially more gearchanges. Diesels like to upchange and pull tall gears. Manufacturers also use trans mapping (which you can't control in a human) to keep the motor out of certain rpm/throttle openings to minmimise emissions.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 02-18-2017 at 07:18 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBDOS CV8 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (02-19-2017),SierraGS (02-18-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Diesel makes far more sense than EV. And it costs a lot less too. This is great news for GM and it's customers.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HumilityWalker For This Useful Post:

joey (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    Weight, plus there's still pumping losses in a t/c trans even in a lock-lock version, and still a slight converter flare on changes, all of which is enough playing around the margins of economy. Unless you drive around with your foot on the clutch a manual still is more efficient.

The diesel Colorado manual is actually torque-limited here to keep the clutch alive, and possibly the auto diesel Cruze might be to keep the FWD transaxle alive in the lower gears, that's a heap of torque to punch through. It's like the LFX - in US FWD applications like the Impala and people movers, peak torque is 5000+ rpm. In Australian RWD apps, peak torque is 2800rpm. Less torque = more fuel use and potentially more gearchanges. Diesels like to upchange and pull tall gears. Manufacturers also use trans mapping (which you can't control in a human) to keep the motor out of certain rpm/throttle openings to minmimise emissions.
    You would think that with the technology available, GM would spec a clutch that could handle the full engine torque load. Isn't selling vehicles about proving yours is the best/most powerful/most fuel efficient? Being cheap (a GM hallmark) screams penny pinching. Cheap *******s.
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 Canyon Z71 / 08 Accord V6

What's the 10th Chevy or GMC vehicle to get diesel?

1. Silverado
    2. Sierra
    3. Colorado
    4. Canyon
    5. Express
    6. Savana
    7. Equinox
    8. Terrain
    9. Cruze
    10. ?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,362 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

You would think that with the technology available, GM would spec a clutch that could handle the full engine torque load. Isn't selling vehicles about proving yours is the best/most powerful/most fuel efficient? Being cheap (a GM hallmark) screams penny pinching. Cheap *******s.
    Like all makers, it can/does make high torque transmissions - but it's cheaper to fit a lower limited transmission, which is more efficient, and limit torque in lower gears. Most car buyers aren't petrolhead enthusiasts so a little less torque from standstill is barely noticed.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 933 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

This ......

The Detroit automaker said it sold 757,000 diesel vehicles globally last year.

..... is a failing grade ( beyond belief ) and without a doubt has been, is, and likely will continue to be one of the things holding GM back .... come what may.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
    What's the 10th Chevy or GMC vehicle to get diesel?

1. Silverado
    2. Sierra
    3. Colorado
    4. Canyon
    5. Express
    6. Savana
    7. Equinox
    8. Terrain
    9. Cruze
    10. ?
    Technically, the Silverado, Sierra, Express, & Savana only offer diesels in their 3/4-ton & heavier models, which are heavier than the EPA tests for CAFE.
    Hidden Content

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Their thousands of dyno hours and valdation miles around test tracks would have told them that the Col double-overdrive top maybe struggled to hold at peak torque high loads - dropping less than 10% power at a certain rpm range, you'd never notice. To engineer an unburstable driveline in a moderate price vehicle could add a thousand dollars - to limit torque from the motor in a ce tain rpm band costs nothing and might save a squilion dollars and the average owner, as Rupert says, does not notice. The diesel manual Col will walk up anything, the 30nm (out of 470nm) is equivalent probably to a dirty aircleaner. It might also be an emssions measure not prevalent on the auto. On the diesel Cruze, it might be just the change algorithms on the trans. Especially now with dieselgate they want to ensure itwill pass with flying colours

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information