GM could face $918 million hit from bankruptcy-related lawsuit

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM could face $918 million hit from bankruptcy-related lawsuit

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Reuters
    January 3, 2012
    by Tom Hals

A U.S. bankruptcy judge could soon rule on whether the 2009 government-led restructuring of General Motors Co improperly favored hedge funds, and an adverse ruling could cost the automaker nearly $1 billion.

Judge Robert Gerber must decide whether a "lock-up agreement" in the restructuring sent $367 million to a group of hedge fund noteholders at the expense of other creditors.

A trust representing unsecured creditors has sued to undo the lock-up agreement, arguing that it was a last-minute deal secretly folded into GM's bankruptcy to ensure the hedge funds' support.

After the automaker, or "Old GM," filed for bankruptcy in 2009, its best assets were sold to the new General Motors Co (GM.N). The remainder of the company was liquidated for the benefit of creditors.

While the hedge funds, which hold notes with about $1 billion in face value, received the $367 million under the lock-up agreement, unsecured creditors received just pennies on the dollar. The hedge funds and other investors in the notes also received a claim against "Old GM" for $2.67 billion.

In its lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan, the creditors' trust alleged that the lock-up agreement was unfair to "Old GM" creditors. The trust said the deal took place after the bankruptcy filing and therefore required Gerber's approval, and it called on Gerber to unwind the deal.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Re: GM could face $918 million hit from bankruptcy-related lawsuit

So this so called forced bk was not drawn up by the government but by GM?
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Lawyers finding ways of making money for lawyers!

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

This is where investors loose out. I doubt that this goes anywhere.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Hedge funds are extremely rich people investing other richer people's money. A slue of hedge funds and other elite firms, not you or I with our brokerage account, came in buying GM bonds for pennies on the dollar just before the bankruptcy. The risk or hope in this investment was to when GM went into bankruptcy GM assets being identified and sold off by the court trusties and judge would be to pay out the owners of these bonds at a considerably higher worth than what they bought them for just weeks previous. This isn't your grandmother, you, I, nor your neighbor. These are extremely wealthy people that took a risk, when that risk didn't pay off, their cappuccinos got upset and now they're suing.

Moreover when they were anticipating making millions off this paper shuffle, they would have paid 15% tax on tens or hundreds of millions in income, yet the man or woman trudging though a foot of snow to work their shift, six days a week is paying 25% or more of his income in taxes. I have little sympathy for the ultra exclusive hedge funds.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
    These are extremely wealthy people that took a risk, when that risk didn't pay off, their cappuccinos got upset and now they're suing.
    I read this as going the other way. These hedge funds did make their money at the expense of regular creditors (the rich got richer). The hedge funds got their position moved ahead of the regular creditors and got paid first and at 36.7 cents on the dollar compared to regular creditors that got pennies on the dollar. The WSJ had said at one point that the hedge funds had purchased most of the bonds outstanding for less than a $100 million, so the profit they made on the short-term holding was quite large.
    Current Driveway Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel
    2013 Sonic LTZ HB
    2008 Colorado CrewCab Z71 2WD
    2011 Cruze LT2 RS (college duty in Florida)
    2003 Porsche Boxster S (sunny days and track events)
    April 2012 to May 2014 - Chevy Volt - 3 tanks of gas in 12.2K miles. Traded for Cruze Diesel for new commute

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Never enough for the 1%.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    Lawyers finding ways of making money for lawyers!
    You go to the head of the class!
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoney View Post
    So this so called forced bk was not drawn up by the government but by GM?
    The way I read it, the BK as designed was only possible with the blessing of the hedge fund AKA money lenders, AKA money manipulators.

This shows who pulls the strings of the Fed government, irrespective of the party in power.

With the exit of the govt from GM, and as Wall street get more and more involved in GM (steadily rising debt) one can expect positive stories of GM to start dominating the business news to boost up their holdings.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 WoodieLongRoof's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish that were the only bad news GM faces...

http://www.sotosllp.com/class-actions/gm-dealers-claim/

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-...service=mobile

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-i...service=mobile

Remember, GM-Canada did NOT go through b/k...

An overview of all this: http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/06/13/uncivil-law/

With accruals and fees and such, call this one a nice round $ BILLION...

"You reap what you sow"
    Last edited by WoodieLongRoof; 01-07-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford

Oh the right wingers will love this..

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Cadillac, 2008 Solstice,

Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
    Hedge funds are extremely rich people investing other richer people's money. A slue of hedge funds and other elite firms, not you or I with our brokerage account, came in buying GM bonds for pennies on the dollar just before the bankruptcy. The risk or hope in this investment was to when GM went into bankruptcy GM assets being identified and sold off by the court trusties and judge would be to pay out the owners of these bonds at a considerably higher worth than what they bought them for just weeks previous. This isn't your grandmother, you, I, nor your neighbor. These are extremely wealthy people that took a risk, when that risk didn't pay off, their cappuccinos got upset and now they're suing.

Moreover when they were anticipating making millions off this paper shuffle, they would have paid 15% tax on tens or hundreds of millions in income, yet the man or woman trudging though a foot of snow to work their shift, six days a week is paying 25% or more of his income in taxes. I have little sympathy for the ultra exclusive hedge funds.
    I have no sympathy for "ultra exclusive hedge funds," either. Your argumend is not a legal one nor a public policy one. It is schadenfreud.
    We ought not change the law because there are those who dislike the claimants. Bankruptcy courts have a substantial equity function and due consideration will be given to the issue of whether the claim is made in good faith.
    We all expect the law to be followed in matters of this kind. If the plaintiffs have a sound legal argument they may prevail. It is unfortunate that those making decisions such as this during the bankruptcy period will not be the ones to pay. If there was an error, it was not one made by GM as we know it today.
    Ed

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Sierra Denali, 2003 Yukon

I find it laughable that you people dislike the rich people of this country who supply the funds that keep your favorite businesses running, but you love the fact that GM got a bailout from the government that it will likely never repay.

You reap what you sow.

Morons.
    REMEMBER GM - GOOD ENOUGH, ISN'T!!!

"We expect taxpayers will get back all the money my administration has invested in GM," Obama said.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    I find it laughable that you people dislike the rich people of this country who supply the funds that keep your favorite businesses running, but you love the fact that GM got a bailout from the government that it will likely never repay.

You reap what you sow.

Morons.
    Rich people move their money offshore. its small business and the normal people who make it work.

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post

Indirectly, U.S. taxpayers can probably be counted among the unsecured creditors for whom the restructuring's "lock-up agreement" had a deleterious impact.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information