GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Considers Giving Station Wagon To Brand - With Manual & Diesel???

14K views 97 replies 64 participants last post by  Toto 
#1 ·
Motor Trend Magazine

NOTE: THIS PHOTO IS NOT ATTACHED TO THIS ARTICLE:

NOTE: THIS ARTICLE IS FROM THE RUMOR SECTION OF MOTOR TREND MAGAZINE.

Waiting in the wings is a potential replacement for the old CTS Wagon. GM brass is considering bringing a wagon back to its American line-up, and the question is which brand should get it.

GMC is out, and Chevy and Buick could easily port over foreign market product.

We thought Cadillac would be the logical fit, particularly with the ATS and CTS, but product boss Mark Reuss tells us that while a station wagon may be in the cards, it may not be a Cadillac. He also suggested that the mystery wagon could include both manual transmission and diesel engine options.

See less See more
#35 ·
Good point 'Butz', doesn't Volvo move a lot of the XC70 as well? I would love to see an American manufacturer make a move in this niche market. Buick would be my choice for a GM Tourer and I agree with you, the Insignia/Regal is the right model. (maybe not the perfect name though? IMHO)

#11 · (Edited)
If GM has to "think about this" they don't get it...
GM thinks about doing this and they think about doing that.
HA!

I was wondering how long it would take for a posts like this to crop up. Record time, too.

All Automakers consider everything they do very carefully. They should. Huge amounts of money are at stake.

Wagons are still a minute percentage of the market. If this wasn't the case, then why do only a few makers offer them? Subaru sells a lot of wagons, yes. But that doesn't mean if GM or any other maker suddenly produce one that any portion of those customers would come along. In fact, as far a Subaru is concerned, I can confidently state that the conquest sales any GM brand can expect from Subaru is less than 1%.

( I live in Washington State. Believe me I know what I'm talking about.):
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...-each-state-not-what-you-might-expect-197194/

News articles about other makers "Thinking" or "Considering" products are posted here, but never does the Membership say such things.

.....Talk is cheap.
So's the "Ignore" button.

#7 ·
GM thinks about doing this and they think about doing that. Talk is cheap.

#9 ·
They are just floating ideas. The chance of them doing anything is....ahhhhh.....zero. Less than zero. Too many VPs with too much time on their hands.

It's probably time to check again how many consumers would be disappointed when they don't reintroduce the El Camino.

And then do nothing.

#15 · (Edited)
OFF TOPIC : test

LATE ADD : edit test.

x4 ok

V2

Reactions: megeebee
#21 ·
#25 ·
GM NA already builds the Malibu and Regal off the Insignia, how difficult would it be to "simply" bring the panels from Opel and build the wagon version alongside the Malibu and/or Regal - there's a precedent within GM for this, the GM J-body Opel Ascona-C had no estate/wagon version but Holden's J-body Camira had an estate/wagon version so Vauxhall imported the panels from Holden to build the Vauxhall Cavalier mk2 estate in addition to their saloon/hatch versions.

#26 · (Edited)
Well great news !

At this rate in another five years, GM will only be five year behind....

- need some fries to go with all this katchup...

#27 ·
I wouldnt mind seeing the next gen malibu styling attached to the wagon and add a manual for both wagon and sedan.

#58 ·
I owned a Jagwagon.
A Regal GS wagon would get my attention, but I'll believe this story when I see it.
Until then it's just so many mythical Utes that were coming to America so many times.

#33 ·
AWD Cruze hatch/wagon please. To compete with the Impreza hatch, which I allllllmost bought (instead I picked up a Sonic and kept my old AWD Subaru around as a winter car). My 2 cents.

#36 ·
I'm skeptical. But if they do it, I imagine it would be the next gen Regal. I'd really hope they offer it in AWD. That utility, along with the utility of it being a wagon, may help it sell some. The price level of the Regal will help eat some of the cost considering sales will never be big.
I was thinking of the Cruze wagon as a second choice, but nah, bring over the Cruze hatch instead. Compact hatch sales here are significant. I see Mazda 3 hatches all over. And note that both Cruze hatch and wagon are not needed here, just one.

#43 ·
I would imagine a better sales case for a Cruze Wagon a "NORMAL" wagon NOT a SUV like AWD one but a BASIC car in a BASIC car price
the insignia/regal would be 30K+ well into the equinox range where a Cruze could be $15K and a GOOD Family car and with the going away of the Caravan and the other "cheap" Family friendly options

I LIKE the regal GS "sportourer" but wonder how many will "give up" a SUV like a Equinox for a similar priced Buick estate car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.