GM Announces Widest Deployment of 4G LTE Services in Vehicles

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM Announces Widest Deployment of 4G LTE Services in Vehicles

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

GM
    February 25, 2013

BARCELONA – General Motors today announced a broad global strategy to deliver a new generation of connected cars and trucks with embedded 4G LTE mobile broadband, the largest deployment in the automotive industry to date.

The first GM cars, trucks and crossovers to get 4G LTE will be most 2015 Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac models available in 2014 in the United States and Canada delivered through AT&T. GM will announce more carrier and supplier relationships in coming months to expand 4G LTE capabilities in markets around the globe.

With mobile data speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G technologies, increased responsiveness, and the ability to support simultaneous voice and data connections, a built-in 4G LTE connection will enable advances in a wide range of in-vehicle communications and entertainment capabilities. Expected benefits for GM customers could include in-vehicle Wi-Fi hot spots, new infotainment options like streaming video entertainment in the back seat, real-time updates and faster application downloads. These enhancements build on OnStar’s existing portfolio of built-in connected services, first introduced in GM vehicles in 1996.

The built-in 4G LTE structure is specifically designed for in-vehicle use as it is integrated into the vehicle’s electrical system and includes an external antenna to maximize coverage and connectivity. Customers will not be required to have a smartphone to use connected services.

“In addition to allowing consumers to bring in and connect to personal mobile devices, the vehicle will also act as its own mobile device, enabling embedded vehicle capabilities,” said Mary Chan, president, Global Connected Consumer, General Motors. “Turning this vision into a reality starts with enabling fast, reliable and responsive connectivity within the vehicle. Through this built-in 4G LTE connection we have the opportunity to reinvent the mobile experience inside a vehicle.”

Over time, applications of widespread in-vehicle 4G LTE connectivity will enable vehicles to interact directly with their environment to enhance safety, efficiency and convenience for drivers and passengers. 4G LTE will make services such as real-time traffic and navigation updates possible, pulling information from the cloud.

GM and AT&T will immediately begin work to develop 4G LTE connectivity for GM vehicles in the U.S. and Canada. AT&T’s 4G LTE network is expected to reach 300 million people in the U.S. by the end of 2014, and its network performance and deployment strategy have been lauded by industry analysts and other experts.

GM and AT&T will also work together on a broad ecosystem focused on developing new communication applications to enhance the driving and riding experience.

“While our 4G LTE network will provide fast, reliable mobile broadband for GM’s connected vehicles, we’re also looking forward to working directly with GM researchers and engineers as well as the developer community to invent new in-vehicle applications that will take full advantage of our powerful network,” said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO, AT&T Mobility.

Both GM and AT&T are leading innovators in their industries.

GM received more U.S. patents in 2012 than any other automaker as it continued to drive advances in performance, efficiency, sustainability and in-vehicle infotainment. GM’s OnStar enabled the world’s first connected vehicles 16 years ago, and delivers industry-leading capabilities, ranging from stolen vehicle assistance to voice navigation and live advisor support.

“As we implement 4G LTE connectivity into our vehicles the most important piece we will consider is delivering this technology to our customers in a safe manner, staying focused on reducing any related distractions,” said Chan.

AT&T maintains a long heritage of innovation at AT&T Labs. The company’s hands-on work with the developer community, centered in its AT&T Foundry facilities, has resulted in numerous innovations in mobile apps and network technology.

The widespread integration of 4G LTE into GM vehicles will enhance GM’s recently announced application framework and third-party developers program. In January, GM introduced a new set of vehicle application programming interfaces (APIs), which enable developers to build on GM vehicles’ infotainment systems, as well as a new flexible application framework that will allow drivers to add apps and infotainment features to their vehicles after purchase.

“Our commitment to 4G LTE strengthens our ability to collaboratively innovate with developer partners,” said Chan. “Developers will be able to take full advantage of 4G LTE speeds as they design vehicle-specific apps, and they can pursue development knowing that they’ll have a broad base of potential customers as connectivity is built-in across GM brands and regions.”

As 4G LTE networks expand globally, GM plans to work with additional carrier partners to enable connectivity in other brands such as Opel and Vauxhall. Additional details on availability and service options will be announced later.
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

Future owner of another classy GMC Sierra "All Terrain"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: GM Announces Widest Deployment of 4G LTE Services in Vehicles

Incidentally, on GM's Facebook page a member of the social media team stated that GM will be making a complete switch from Verizon to AT&T in its 2015 model vehicles (presumably this means OnStar cellular service as well).

GM Facebook

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I'm not usually too interested in interweb connectivity with cars but I have to say this is cool.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

It's no suprise Chrysler with the 2013 Ram fired the shot, so GM responded. As for myself couldn't care less, I love driving and can turn the junk off. I have no need to be plugged in constantly.

Thanks

Meh...I already have a cell phone.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Tre View Post
    It's no suprise Chrysler with the 2013 Ram fired the shot, so GM responded. As for myself couldn't care less, I love driving and can turn the junk off. I have no need to be plugged in constantly.
    To me the "cool factor" of all this lies with passengers... streaming video to the rear seats, etc.

Logical replacement for DVD players, for sure.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

I'm amazed that Verizon let this go to AT&T. It's going to be difficult for salesmen to pitch this to people who have a different carrier. I would never leave Verizon for this, and would not buy a vehicle with the tech if I could not use it.
    Get used to more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
    I'm amazed that Verizon let this go to AT&T. It's going to be difficult for salesmen to pitch this to people who have a different carrier. I would never leave Verizon for this, and would not buy a vehicle with the tech if I could not use it.
    Don't see why you'd have to leave your carrier for this? The cost for the data will be bundled in with Onstar like the direct calling minutes are currently or be a separate subscription fee. Wonder how much these data packages will run a month?

I could see the hot shot being useful for businesses but a Smartphone can do the same thing.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! http://www.facebook.com/groups/250698485001606

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Here in the thriving metropolis of Payson AZ, the only service that is reliable is Verizon. AT&T users have very limited usage, and it doesn't work in my neighborhood at all.

It will be interesting, unless they upgrade their coverage a great deal.
    The resident "girl"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    Here in the thriving metropolis of Payson AZ, the only service that is reliable is Verizon. AT&T users have very limited usage, and it doesn't work in my neighborhood at all.

It will be interesting, unless they upgrade their coverage a great deal.
    I'm in the NOVA/DC area and was dissapointed in AT&T for the short peroid of time I had them after I was switched to AT&T during the Alltel/Verizon purchase.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! http://www.facebook.com/groups/250698485001606

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

This is great for you guys in the USA where you have access to cheap data. Our data plans and prices suck up here in Canada so it doesn't get me too excited. I do like the idea of integrated data connectivity especially for streaming video into the vehicle. Unfortunately, the absurd cost of data in Canada is a big roadblock.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze TD , 88 Fiero GT

Quote Originally Posted by V8GMT360 Guy View Post
    To me the "cool factor" of all this lies with passengers... streaming video to the rear seats, etc.

Logical replacement for DVD players, for sure.
    I don't think it will be too much fun for the passengers if they're constantly seeing the message "Buffering, Please wait"......

Hopefully ATT's LTE network will be robust enough where this scenario won't happen very often......

Ken

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rueben44's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Tre View Post
    If I m not mistaken the CTS had this as a option years ago.
    I have at&t and the data is good here in Houston but I miss Sprint because I never had overages with then. Now that I have AT&T I have had to upgrade my data twice.
    Last edited by rueben44; 02-25-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster
    2008 Ford F150 Regular Cab
    Future car: Cadillac ELR or Tesla Model S

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I'd love to see GM/AT&T come up with some new & unique features to make GM really stand out. GM needs a trend setting 'gotta have it' feature.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Expect significantly better reception in a car vs. a phone. They car can afford to use a more aggressive/power hungry receiver to pull down the signal that a mobile phone cannot.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information