Not open for further replies.

GM to announce new vehicle for Spring Hill

10K views 55 replies 29 participants last post by  NoStopN 
#1 ·
GM to announce new vehicle for Spring Hill plant
Nashville Business Journal
August 26, 2014
By: Eric Snyder

General Motors is expected to announce this week production of an additional vehicle at its Spring Hill plant.

WKRN News 2 reports that a formal announcement is expected Wednesday morning, citing state Rep. Sheila Butt of Maury County. It is not yet clear how many new jobs will be involved. A separate anonymous source tells News 2 the announcement will be for a new vehicle.

The Spring Hill plant currently makes the Chevy Equinox.

#4 ·
Next SRX?

#5 · (Edited)
oldsfiesta1958 said:
Buick Envision or whatever they call the CUV to go between the Encore and Enclave?
That's my thought. Some of the suppliers have already announced that they increased their workforce to supply parts for a new vehicle at SH. This is expected to be GM making it official. Will they just announce the vehicle? Will they show sketches or photos? Good questions. And we should find out tomorrow morning. Of course GM would announce something like this on a day when I would be at work. :mad:

CamaroCrazy said:
Next SRX?
I forgot about that. I believe that a Cadillac SUV/CUV was one of those products that the suppliers were gearing up for.

#16 ·
So now with the SRX confirmed the 2016 model year now has five new vehicles coming to Cadillac plus a rumored actual MCE for the ats (new engines, transmissions, interior tweaks; 2015 was more an exterior refresh for the new logo).

All I got to say is "well damn", with all this coming to together in a single year I hope they have stuff to keep us happy for the years after. Maybe some niche vehicles like an xlr successor that's not mid-pack the moment it's released. Or a two door omega flagship that's more then just the omega sedan with two doors cut off.
If anything the future is going to be exciting to watch at Cadillac.

#17 ·
After Omega and after SRX, I believe another crossover is supposed to debut for 2016CY. Come 2017 and beyond, I don't know what to expect.

My personal opinion is that they should come out with a distinct midsize coupe featuring the V8 in Omega as well as a full-size coupe.

Follow that year with who knows what else (but I believe that's when the sub-ATS was mentioned as being pegged for), and maybe THEN an XLR-successor to lineup with the rumored timeframe of the C8.

Next-gen ATS should be here... 2018CY? 2017CY is the new Vette, supposedly.

Who knows?

#22 · (Edited)
After Omega and after SRX, I believe another crossover is supposed to debut for 2016CY.
The infamous Lamda?

Lord, I wish there was a RWD Crossover in the plan. I really think it's a mistake for Cadillac to not offer one.

Thank you. This is presumably smaller than C1XX?

Does anyone know if there will be a Cadillac built on D2XX? A Chevrolet?

#19 ·
I would take from this that the Acadia will reduce in size from the current one. So Buick won't get a version of the SRX.

This would mean that the Enclave will have no "Internal" competition from the Acadia (Since most all Buick dealers are dualed with GMC).

What platform is the Envision on?

#27 ·
Interesting discovery I made here on GMI...

BTW looks like the Cruze variation of the platform is called D2SC...

OEMPlatform Program Vehicle SOP Peak VolumePrimary Design
FordC1 MCAC346 (2)Focus 1Q 2017320,000 Cologne
C520 (2)Escape 3Q 2017 325,000 Cologne
C489Lincoln CUV 4Q 201336,000Cologne
CD 4CD391 (2)Fusion3Q 2018350,000Dearborn
CD533 (2)Lincoln MKZ3Q 201736,000 Dearborn
CD539Edge3Q 2014178,000Dearborn
D568Taurus3Q 2015117,000Dearborn
U502 (2)Explorer4Q 2015220,000Dearborn
GM Global Alpha A2SL Cadillac ATS2Q 2018126,000Warren
A2LL Cadillac CTS2Q 201868,000Warren
?? Camaro1Q 2015102,000Warren
Global DeltaD2SCCruze4Q 2014 270,000 Russelsheim
D2UB/CEquinox 2Q 2014190,000Russelsheim
Global GammaG2UCChevy CUV 1Q 2017 133,000 Warren
G2SC Sonic 1Q 2017 150,000 Warren
G2UG Granite3Q 2018 40,000 Warren
Toyota MC – M 051A(2) Camry 3Q 2016 420,000 Nagoya/Ann Arbor
"]
G4 CTS... 2018?

Does not sound right at all, but if you look further in the thread, Dmitry claims the source referenced has been quite accurate and predicted Cruze production dates in advance of GM announcements.

Interesting.

#28 ·
Interesting discovery I made here on GMI...

G4 CTS... 2018?

Does not sound right at all, but if you look further in the thread, Dmitry claims the source referenced has been quite accurate and predicted Cruze production dates in advance of GM announcements.

Interesting.
That has to be wrong (though it might have been legitimate in the distant past). It lists a second generation Granite.

#36 ·
So they are moving the SRX and Acadia to the Spring Hill Plant. I am quite surprised at this due to the fact that the two vehicles are on separate and completely different platforms. Could this mean that GM is going to add a model to Lansing (Caddy Lambda)? Seems odd that they are moving the popular Acadia. Is the capacity in the Lansing plant holding sales volume back?

If anything I would think that GM would move all GMC Terrain and SRX production to Spring Hill so that CAMMI could focus on just producing the Equinox. Also, GM has built a ton of equity in the Equinox due to the fact that they've been using the Vue/Captiva for fleets which protect the residuals on the Equinox. What are they going to do once they finally update the Equinox?

This move leaves more questions than answers IMHO.

#48 ·
It seems GM's future CUV program will look something like this:

16 Envision D2XX Ramos Arizpe (?) -this is a guess. No production location yet given.
17 Equinox D2XX CAMI
17 Terrain D2XX CAMI

16 SRX C1UX Spring Hill
17 Acadia C1UX Spring Hill
17 (?) Chevy (?) C1UX Spring Hill (?) -based on AH-HA's above comment

17 Enclave C1YX Lansing
17 Traverse C1YX Lansing
Cadillac C1YX (?) Lansing -supposedly cancelled.

17/18 "BRX" Alpha LGR (?) - new small caddy CUV

#54 ·
It seems GM's future CUV program will look something like this:

16 SRX C1UX Spring Hill
17 Acadia C1UX Spring Hill
17 (?) Chevy (?) C1UX Spring Hill (?) -based on AH-HA's above comment
Personally, I don't see the purpose of a Chevy based vehicle on the next gen SRX/Acadia chassis. I also don't see the purpose of shrinking the Equinox/Terrain's next gen chassis. GM could make better use of the available interior space. But, Chevy may be juggling too many CUVs if the add an SRX/Acadia model while also offering the Traverse, Equinox, & Trax.

#53 ·
That's a good question. The Equinox is getting smaller, but we don't know if they the interior is packaged to use the same about of space. It's been said before, the Equinox is bigger on the outside, in reference to the competition, but smaller on the inside. Somehow they managed to put 3 rows of seats in the Orlando, but it leaves me optimistic since the new D2XX is supposed to be slightly larger than it's predecessor.

#55 ·
Shrinking the Acadia is a bad move. We sell the hell out of them due to the fact that they are bigger than every other crossover. Space and room is the main reason they sell so well. They are dated and still move because of the bucket seats and the roomy 3rd row. Dont know what theyre talking about for the new Terrain. ive seen pictures of the 2016 and its nothing more than a refresh with new front and rear clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.