FWD RWD AWD - What's Right for Police

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FWD RWD AWD - What's Right for Police

Thanks

By Rob Rothwell
    Thursday, March 01, 2012

Auto123

Police in boardrooms across North America are engaging in an interesting debate: which vehicle should replace the Crown Victoria as a general duty patrol car, and should it be front-wheel-drive (FWD), rear-wheel-drive (RWD) or all-wheel-drive (AWD)?

The three sedans under primary consideration are the Ford Police Interceptor (a Taurus), the Dodge Charger and the Chevrolet Caprice. The Charger is propelled by its rear wheels while the Caprice is pulled along by its front wheels. The Ford can be obtained in either FWD or AWD configurations.

So the question distills to this: which drivetrain? For many car enthusiasts, the answer would be RWD or AWD. I doubt many people serious about their driving would choose FWD for a patrol car, but there’s a dilemma with the AWD choice.

In the case of Ford’s Police Interceptor, the benefit of AWD adds anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 to the purchase price per unit. Multiply that by a fleet of 250 patrol cars and you’ve loaded a quarter to half million onto the backs of over-taxed citizens.

After the capital costs, burdened taxpayers can expect to absorb greater operating costs due to the extra fuel consumption associated with AWD systems along with greater repair and maintenance costs.

So what’s in for the John Q. Public, other than an increased tax load? It could potentially mean a quicker response time to emergencies during poor weather conditions thanks to the added traction and stability of an AWD system. One could also argue that an AWD setup is safer for high-speed use and emergency driving than a FWD or RWD format.

If AWD enhances vehicle controllability, it should also reduce the collision rate of police cars and thereby reduce damage costs, and more importantly, death and injury to police and citizens. In these difficult financial times, the anticipated benefits of AWD may be the ounce of prevention that buys a pound of cure — however, it may also be the ounce of prevention that buys a pound waste.

What are your thoughts about spending more of your hard-earned loonies to equip police cars with AWD?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: FWD RWD AWD - What's Right for Police

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    By Rob Rothwell
    Thursday, March 01, 2012

Auto123

Police in boardrooms across North America are engaging in an interesting debate: which vehicle should replace the Crown Victoria as a general duty patrol car, and should it be front-wheel-drive (FWD), rear-wheel-drive (RWD) or all-wheel-drive (AWD)?

The three sedans under primary consideration are the Ford Police Interceptor (a Taurus), the Dodge Charger and the Chevrolet Caprice. The Charger is propelled by its rear wheels while the Caprice is pulled along by its front wheels. The Ford can be obtained in either FWD or AWD configurations.

So the question distills to this: which drivetrain? For many car enthusiasts, the answer would be RWD or AWD. I doubt many people
    wtf??? Dunno about stateside but in Aus most Zeta Caprices are RWD.

Red Hot Mike
    Last edited by RedHotMike; 03-01-2012 at 10:59 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ErikBEggs's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    What are your thoughts about spending more of your hard-earned loonies to equip police cars with AWD?
    ****ing bull****. AWD always was and always will be a scam in my eyes. AWD cars do not have lower accident rates that FWD anyway in inclement weather because people believe AWD gives them an exemption from driving slower for the conditions. Give them FWD or RWD and be done with it. Your better off with better tires than AWD. I hate the brainwashing that has happened in this country with AWD.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze - 1.4T 6A RS & Black / Brick Interior
    Mods: Trifecta Tune - (22 psi) , Injen Cool Air Intake, 30% Tint, Aftermarket Sharkfin Antenna

Thanks

They are idiots, the Caprice is RWD....SMFH at this dumbass the wrote this article.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Most police cars around here are parked 90% of the time running radar, so I don't really think it matters.
    In my garage:

2006 Pontiac GTO (mine)
    2013 Honda Accord Sport (also mine)
    2012 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT (hers)
    2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (son's car)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks

None are BOF like the Crown Vic, so for the most part, it's a wash IMO. RWD is better for PIT's from what I understand.

But the Caprice is RWD, not FWD. Wonder if the were getting it mized up with the Impala?

18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

The real article was edited to correct is error. However, since the article is about RWD vs. FWD vs. AWD, I wonder why there is no mention of the Impy. Probably because his poor knowledge of the Caprice screwed the whole premise of the article.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    They are idiots, the Caprice is RWD....SMFH at this dumbass the wrote this article.
    Ten fo. Homeboy is clueless regarding Impala vs. Caprice.

Quote Originally Posted by silvergoat2k6 View Post
    Most police cars around here are parked 90% of the time running radar, so I don't really think it matters.
    Yes, but they need to be able to go 0-100 in 15 seconds. It's a long way to Burger King, and getting an early start is important!

Quote Originally Posted by solman98 View Post
    None are BOF like the Crown Vic, so for the most part, it's a wash IMO. RWD is better for PIT's from what I understand.

But the Caprice is RWD, not FWD. Wonder if the were getting it mized up with the Impala?
    Mixed up big time.

Quote Originally Posted by freema22 View Post
    The real article was edited to correct is error. However, since the article is about RWD vs. FWD vs. AWD, I wonder why there is no mention of the Impy. Probably because his poor knowledge of the Caprice screwed the whole premise of the article.
    Poor knowledge base, and writing about the various cop cars? What else is new?

I've oft wondered why FoMoCo doesn't engineer a freewheeling front end for the AWD Taurus arrangement, so it could also be adapted for RWD only. Too complex an endeavor?

I'd guess RWD will win out. Ruggedness, less complex and hefty than AWD which IMO is overkill and will more likely contribute to overconfidence of the type that results in SUVs being first in the ditch when it snows.

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

RWD Moped

Thanks

I was going to read that until I seen that little fact.

But seriously, rather than have someone who is probably unrelated to the question, maybe they should just ask police officiers. Just by using deductive reasoning I would have to say that RWD is the preference because the Crown Vic has been popular for so long for many reasons, but I think that is one of them.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the Caprice any day
    Regal:
    S40:

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
    ****ing bull****. AWD always was and always will be a scam in my eyes. AWD cars do not have lower accident rates that FWD anyway in inclement weather because people believe AWD gives them an exemption from driving slower for the conditions. Give them FWD or RWD and be done with it. Your better off with better tires than AWD. I hate the brainwashing that has happened in this country with AWD.
    Once I read an interview with a California Highway Patrol officer who patrolled the I-80 Donner Pass. Most common vehicle to fly off the road? Audis, he said.

However, its just a fact that many buyers in the snow belt will not even consider a RWD car. Therefore, a AWD option is practically required for any RWD sedan. Supposedly, 50% of Cadillac CTSs are sold with AWD.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by vcs2600 View Post
    Once I read an interview with a California Highway Patrol officer who patrolled the I-80 Donner Pass. Most common vehicle to fly off the road? Audis, he said.

However, its just a fact that many buyers in the snow belt will not even consider a RWD car. Therefore, a AWD option is practically required for any RWD sedan. Supposedly, 50% of Cadillac CTSs are sold with AWD.
    The sales job has worked. I'm sometimes asked by colleagues, when going somewhere in the snow, "Oh, do you have a 4WD?" (Implication being that without it, I'm heading into The Danger Zone!)

"No, 4WD is for amateurs."

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    The sales job has worked. I'm sometimes asked by colleagues, when going somewhere in the snow, "Oh, do you have a 4WD?" (Implication being that without it, I'm heading into The Danger Zone!)

"No, 4WD is for amateurs."
    Seriously!!! Thumbs up to this post. People act like I am the biggest daredevil in PA for using a Camaro as a DD. For crying out loud, in SEPA, we barely get much snow. We are on relatively flat ground, and PENDOT has an exhorbitant budget for salt.

On one of the 2 occasions we had more then 1 inch of snow this winter I can recall driving past an Accord that had slid into a snowbank (created by plowing) and cound not get un-stuck while I drove past and laughed.

It's all about driver skill.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I would think it doesn't really matter which wheels drive it, as long as there's enough room inside for the officers and their equipment.
    RWD isn't a necessity. And no, I don't buy the "they need RWD for the high speed pursuits and handling" argument. Just how well does one think those old Crown Vic's handled?

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information