Ex-GM engineer, husband found guilty of trade-secret theft

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ex-GM engineer, husband found guilty of trade-secret theft

News Contributor
    Thanks

Automotive News
    November 30, 2012
    by Eddie Allen

A former General Motors engineer and her husband were found guilty on Friday of conspiring to steal the automaker's trade secrets for hybrid and electric vehicles.

Shanshan Du, 53, the former GM employee, was ruled guilty of conspiracy to possess trade secrets without authorization and two counts of unauthorized possession of trade secrets. She was found not guilty of three counts of wire fraud.

Du's husband, Yu Qin, 51, was found guilty on all six counts, as well as a seventh count for obstruction of justice.

The trade secret counts carry a penalty of up to 10 years imprisonment and a $250,000 fine. The wire fraud counts and an obstruction charge each carry a penalty of up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Sentencing will occur in February 2013.

The jury of nine women and three men deliberated for less than a full day after the case was sent to them late on Thursday. The trial in U.S. District Court in Detroit began on Nov. 5.

Du and Qin were charged in 2010 in a seven-count indictment with trying to steal GM trade secrets related to hybrid vehicles to pass on to China's Chery Automobile Co.

Attorneys for both Du and Qin argued the documents in question were not trade secrets.

Full article at link.
    Last edited by ne_one; 12-01-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Formatting: please refer to the guide at the top of the Submit a News Article forum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Re: Ex-GM engineer, husband found guilty of trade-secret theft

This is a case of state sponsored espionage. The Charge should be treason.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Is it seriously any surprise that the Chinese were involved in this?

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Treason.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala LTZ "Nancy"

The Chinese have been infiltrating all sorts of American business and government information for awhile now. Punishment is not strict enough here IMO .
    www.basilonestopshop.com
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Channel: C00120B93
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Customer Service Chat Available

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Possibly not US citizens. In which case the charge would be espionage, industrial type.

Who's surprised?

Other than the fact that the sentences are probably more than they'd get if they'd just innocently murdered some mope.

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives. --Theodore Roosevelt

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

The Chinese haven so far proved themselves dishonest in trade, intellectual property, currency and stealing others' work products. I say let's impose a 500% duty on all imports from China and individual inspection of each cargo container until China agrees to follow the rules.
    Maybe it's time for a trade war that puts the 8 million American jobs that have been moved to China on the line, and bring back those jobs. We can buy cheap crap anywhere in the world, not just China. Just NOT China.
    Last edited by Dr. Show-Me; 12-01-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

We caught this pair, how many other Chinese are actively stealing from GM, Ford, etc as we discuss the topic in this tread?

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Possibly not US citizens. In which case the charge would be espionage, industrial type.
    Both Du and Qin are U.S. citizens and hold U.S. passports.

From Associated Press: "Du and Qin, both U.S. citizens, had been under scrutiny for years after GM accused them of theft. They were charged in 2006 with destroying documents sought by investigators, but that case was dropped while investigators pursued a broader probe that led to an indictment in 2010"
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    I say let's impose a 500% duty on all imports from China and individual inspection of each cargo container until China agrees to follow the rules.
    Maybe it's time for a trade war that puts the 8 million American jobs that have been moved to China on the line, and bring back those jobs. We can buy cheap crap anywhere in the world, not just China. Just NOT China.
    Those actions will result in prolonged strife between the two countries, weaken the U.S. economy, and ultimately hurt American citizens. A victory in any trade war is always pyrrhic.

In light of this case involving General Motors, a better approach would be a three pronged revision to immigration policy: a.) An indefinite moratorium on all immigration from the People's Republic of China to the USA; b.) assessment of penalties followed by deportation of any Chinese nationals in the U.S. illegally, possibly including a charge of trespassing for being on U.S. soil in the first place; c.) incentives for green card holders and naturalized citizens originally from the PRC to leave the U.S. and return to their homeland.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    11:Silv 11:Cruze 94:Sub 85:442

The statements "conspiring to steal" and "trying to steal GM trade secrets" make me curious whether they were successful in passing information and how much damage was done?

And, to be clear, I hope their and all attempts are absolute failures.
    www.thecomputerarchive.com - Preserving the history of the companies and products that advanced the computer revolution ... www.sharedengrams.com - Random thoughts

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post
    Those actions will result in prolonged strife between the two countries, weaken the U.S. economy, and ultimately hurt American citizens. A victory in any trade war is always pyrrhic.

In light of this case involving General Motors, a better approach would be a three pronged revision to immigration policy: a.) An indefinite moratorium on all immigration from the People's Republic of China to the USA; b.) assessment of penalties followed by deportation of any Chinese nationals in the U.S. illegally, possibly including a charge of trespassing for being on U.S. soil in the first place; c.) incentives for green card holders and naturalized citizens originally from the PRC to leave the U.S. and return to their homeland.
    What is this, Nazi Germany? Chill out. I'm no fan of China myself but it's a little bit extreme.

I'll accept treason as a punishment.

I'll accept tightening Chinese immigration and, if possible, emigration to China (though I don't believe that's possible). Forcible deportation and punishment of illegal Chinese, okay. Forcible deportation of legal Chinese citizens who have committed or are suspected of committing crimes, okay.

I don't think I'd be okay with increased, targeted surveillance of Chinese in sensitive positions, but it's possibly an option.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    We caught this pair, how many other Chinese are actively stealing from GM, Ford, etc as we discuss the topic in this tread?
    That's a question we should ask, but I wouldn't just restrict it to the Chinese. A measured approach is the way to act. Xenophobic overreactions aren't the answer to our problems.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Treason.
    Hang em high......
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Thanks

The amount of bigotry in this thread is high...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Maybe Americans and Canadians will finally wake up to the fact that China is fighting an espionage war aimed at stealing technology and know-how (things they can never accomplish alone), and has been for a very long time, and will continue to do so to undermine and weaken the West...China, for all its bravado and saber rattling, cannot win a military war against the U.S./ world and have pretty much not accomplished much in the last 1,000 years, especially for a country that is 5,000 years old.

Chinese are born (and brainwashed) to protect their motherland from birth, no matter how much hardship their own government puts on them. No amount of feel-good "culturally-sensitive understanding" will override the fact that the Chinese, by and large, only care about the Chinese, and through pressure from their government, will ALWAYS steal secrets and whatnot from other countries who have better technology for the motherland...An American citizenship for the most part is just a gateway and cover for working for their motherland.

Reality people, not ivory tower rhetoric.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information