DMAX Builds 1,500,000th Duramax Diesel Engine - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DMAX Builds 1,500,000th Duramax Diesel Engine

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Re: DMAX Builds 1,500,000th Duramax Diesel Engine

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Perhaps my winking eye smiley did not alert you to my posts inherent sarcasm?
    I totally got it and though your an ass most of the time (me too BTW) the direction the thread went after was pretty funny!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltss_King View Post
    I still wish we could get this motor in a burben or yukon xl or slade esv.
    Beyond belief.

- Yukon Denali with this....... would take care of much already out there - and coming.

Maybe it's just too easy to do ?????????

Going forward..... the same as a new gen...... with a SOA 4.0L V8 TD and an 8HP oops, I mean an -
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 11-17-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 88Fiero View Post
    The Cummins engine dodge uses is a good engine, but take one apart and look at it!!! Look at the bottom end!!!!! Then do the same with the International V8 engines. Then do the DuraMax. YOU WILL SEE, A BUILT LIKE A BRICK OUT HOUSE BOTTOM END! YOU WILL SEE THE ROD CAPS ARE COLD FRACTURED, A PROCESS THAT IS the best...........well you need to do some research and get the facts jack!
    You sir have obviously never seen the bottom end of a Cummins compared to the DMax. The DMax is like a toy in comparison. The amount of bearing surface is probably half that of the Cummins Not to mention the rods look like they belong in a gas motor when sitting next to the B Cummins rods.
    '95 Accord EX-L 302k daily driver
    '07 Odyssey EX-L RES 88k
    '95 2500 Ram 12v-324k

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    You sir have obviously never seen the bottom end of a Cummins compared to the DMax. The DMax is like a toy in comparison. The amount of bearing surface is probably half that of the Cummins Not to mention the rods look like they belong in a gas motor when sitting next to the B Cummins rods.
    A "toy" that is a better engine, sure thing.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    A "toy" that is a better engine, sure thing.
    Now don't get me wrong, the DMax is a great engine. I still don't think it is on the same level as the Cummins in long term durability.

There's something special about the mechanical simplicity of the Cummins. Look at the specs that the manufacturers give the engines for service life.
    '07 Odyssey EX-L RES 88k
    '95 2500 Ram 12v-324k

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Thats all fine and good but beefier isn't always better. Your losing power from carring all the mass and bearing area. If it's to much then it's just a waste. The facts are the Duramax destroys it in power and torque. That said I have a work one that has 280K-ish on the clock with only the typical power steering pump failure.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Way to go Dmax, sales could only go up from the 6.5L engine. Hard to get lower than the <5% market share it held.

Solid axles? Man that is back in the seventies! The twin i beam wears out tires in less than 20K. You really need to get out more often. Check out the front and rear axle ratings on the 2500HD. bubba. Check out the frame bubba, its the best in the business. Fully boxed front to rear.

TTB has been gone since what, 1998?

More 3/4-1 ton 4x4 trucks are sold in the US with SFA than IFS.
    What are the HD sales figures by manufacturer?
    IIRC Ram sells almost as many as GM.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    Thats all fine and good but beefier isn't always better. Your losing power from carring all the mass and bearing area. If it's to much then it's just a waste. The facts are the Duramax destroys it in power and torque. That said I have a work one that has 280K-ish on the clock with only the typical power steering pump failure.
    That's rubbish! Diesel engines are designed to last under extreme cylinder pressure. And for a long time. The fact is that if you want an engine to last, and last a long time between overhauls, you want the biggest, widest journals with the biggest rods and crank.

The Cummins powered Ram pickups are likely to never be the fastest, but they have the most overbuilt engine by far.

And again, the DMax is a great engine, but it's built like a gasser compared to the B Cummins. The factory overhaul mileage for the DMax is 200k vs 350k for the Cummins. I personally service one that has 830k on the factory engine with just one set of injectors. Many have gone further. I'm sure a few DMax trucks have done it as well, but not as many.

And remember that the '13 Ram will be available with 850ft.lbs.
    '07 Odyssey EX-L RES 88k
    '95 2500 Ram 12v-324k

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

Ummm you are wrong on the trucks. Isuzu is the #1 CO( for got not many MD truck people here! CO= Cab Over) truck! Get out of this country and you will see the number one selling diesel engine is Isuzu. At one time every reefer trailer that had a themo king unit on it & was diesel fuled had a small isuzu engine in it! If if wasnt for Isuzu helping GM we would still be in the hole on diesel pick up engines!

Emissions: Isuzu had the emmissions done and working several years before the US required it and before GM had any system. Isuzu may not have much of a presence in this country with cars and light duty trucks but in the world they do. Back When GM was building Medium Duty trucks, I would talk my customers into buying the inline six Duramax over the Cat engine as it had a far superior warranty and was a stronger engine bar none!
    They are the most popular choice for Truck buyers over here that's for sure

Main reason is the best seats (ISRI) and the engines

I've never met an Isuzu truck i didnt like
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

Great job on GM's part, I'm not suprised. I just wished they could have spread the duramax around more in other large SUV's. With so much competition out there you can never have enough power or torque on hand.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Truck Triumph of the 60's!

Ummm you are wrong on the trucks. Isuzu is the #1 CO( for got not many MD truck people here! CO= Cab Over) truck! Get out of this country and you will see the number one selling diesel engine is Isuzu. At one time every reefer trailer that had a themo king unit on it & was diesel fuled had a small isuzu engine in it! If if wasnt for Isuzu helping GM we would still be in the hole on diesel pick up engines!

Emissions: Isuzu had the emmissions done and working several years before the US required it and before GM had any system. Isuzu may not have much of a presence in this country with cars and light duty trucks but in the world they do. Back When GM was building Medium Duty trucks, I would talk my customers into buying the inline six Duramax over the Cat engine as it had a far superior warranty and was a stronger engine bar none!
    Umm, no I am not. I know all about Isuzu's world-wide market share in medium and heavy trucks, but as I said in my post, I was talking about Isuzu's U.S. market presence. Before 2009, Isuzu was offering commercial trucks from the 12,000 GVW class 3 NPR to 56,000 GVW 'baby 8' FZR. GM was manufacturing most of the trucks Isuzu sold in the U.S. aside from diesel NPR's and NQR's, but when GM abandoned class 4 and larger commercial trucks and GM and Isuzu could not come to an agreement on continuing the manufacture of these trucks, Isuzu was left with only the NPR. Yes, it's the largest selling class 4 cabover in the U.S., but that isn't saying much! Isuzu makes great trucks and diesel engines, no question. However, their management seems to be lost. Isuzu had purchased their own plant in Alabama ostensibly to manufacture their trucks and possibly taking over the manufacture of GM's medium duty line, but the vacillated on opening it for years. They eventually sold the property. Isuzu had the opportunity to run GM's medium duty line at Flint, but wouldn't commit to that either. Yes, they were among the first to develop DPF's and SRC, but they would not apply the technology to the 6HK1 to get it certified for the U.S. 2010 EPA requirements. That alone effectively doomed the larger GM mediums, because Cat was getting out of the highway business and without the 6HK1 the Topkick and Kodiak had no legal diesel engine (and you are right, the Isuzu was the best mid-range diesel available at the time, no question). This all gets me back to my original question: What does Isuzu think they are doing here in the U.S.? They have a partnership with GM to manufacture diesel engines that they do not use in any of their own vehicles, they import a few thousand diesel NPR's from Japan, and they contract with Spartan Motors to assemble a few thousand more NPR's with gas engines supplied by GM. That is not much of a U.S. presence in anyone's book, particularly given the size of Isuzu.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Beyond belief.

- Yukon Denali with this....... would take care of much already out there - and coming.

Maybe it's just too easy to do ?????????

Going forward..... the same as a new gen...... with a SOA 4.0L V8 TD and an 8HP oops, I mean an -
    I believe the Duramax to be overkill quite frankly for 1/2 ton based vehicles, and truthfully the 4.5 Duramax needed to be available 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    I totally got it and though your an ass most of the time (me too BTW) the direction the thread went after was pretty funny!
    I certainly am not an azz, and I prefer the title pompous posterior orifice because it is far more descriptive.

Thanks

Better diesel engine:

Duramax or Cummins?

GO!

I've heard the argument if you had a Cummins with an Allison tranny in the Ford truck, it would be the best combination you could come up with. My honest opinion is that if you put the Duramax/Allison in the Ford, it would be the best truck. IMO the Cummins is a great motor, but a bit overrated, and doesn't have the horsepower of the V8s that blow it away in performance comparisons. Sure it will run smoother over the course of its lifetime, but c'mon, its still only 6 cylinders.
    "If you truly wanted to save the environment, you would live in it, not on it." --KG

"Show me how to live, and I'll teach you how to die." --KG

Future President of The United States.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

OK, why is the largest auto company in the world having to reach out to another country to develop engines that should have been developed 20 years or so and being exported abroad until the need or sales picked up here in the states. I dont get it

We have to go over seas to get a diesel engine for a light truck and turbo 4 for our mid size cars. whats up with that? I can think of 10 reason in the midwest alone why this shouldnt be the case. It called the Big Ten conference....... Thats not counting the rest of our major colleges here in the US

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Why does GM who has 50% ownership of VM Motori have no light duty (sub Duramax) or passenger car diesels available in the US market?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information