DMAX Builds 1,500,000th Duramax Diesel Engine

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DMAX Builds 1,500,000th Duramax Diesel Engine

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    November 16, 2012

General Motors announced today the production of its 1,500,000th Duramax 6.6L diesel engine at its DMAX Ltd. Joint venture with Isuzu Motors Ltd.

DMAX Ltd, a joint venture between GM and Isuzu Motors Ltd., was established in 1998. GM introduced the Duramax diesel in the United States in its 2001 model year.

Available in GM's Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD pickups, the engine delivers a segment-leading 397 horsepower at 3,000 rpm and 765 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,600 rpm. The Duramax is also available in GM's full-size Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vans.

The award-winning Duramax 6.6-liter V-8 is a four-valve high pressure common rail direct injection diesel currently equipped with a diesel particulate filter to meet current stringent emissions requirements.

“Our Duramax diesel is one of the best in the industry,” said Betty Wessel, DMAX Chief Financial Officer, “Duramax has become a great success story and is a world-class engine with superior quality, industry-leading horsepower and competitive fuel economy.”

The milestone demonstrates the productivity of the employees and the joint partnership between GM, Isuzu and the IUE-CWA, said DMAX Chief Executive Officer Maho Mitsuya.

“This is a significant achievement for our facility and our employees here at DMAX,” Mitsuya said. “We’re committed to building quality into every engine – whether it’s our first or our 1,500,000th..”

The 584,000 square foot DMAX facility employs 517 employees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Truck Triumph of the 60's!

Re: DMAX Builds 1,500,000th Duramax Diesel Engine

I wonder what the future is for DMAX. Isuzu isn't much of a partner in it anymore, and Isuzu never seemed to get anything out of the joint venture other than supplying parts to it. When GM designed the 4.5L Duramax 'in-house', it made DMAX look a bit redundant. At some point, the 6.6L will need to be significantly updated or replaced. Will DMAX engineer a replacement? Of course, GM and Isuzu could use DMAX in future joint projects, but then again Isuzu doesn't have much of a presence in the U.S., even in commercial trucks anymore.

Thanks

The 4.5 L version would have been an ideal companion to the 6.6.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Who buys the thin sheet metal , IFS, horrible interior contraptions that this engine comes in?

Ford has their 6.7 Powerbroke engine, and Rolls Royce level interiors with solid granite fenders and solid axles made from industrial grade diamonds. Surely real truck guys would buy Ford instead of the clunkers that GM builds?

Last edited by germeezy1; 11-16-2012 at 05:15 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Why are u here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Who buys the thin sheet metal , IFS, horrible interior contraptions that this engine comes in?
    There must be a few of us fools that put up with this horrible stuff so we can get the Duramax/Allison. Guess I'll just have to suffer through it and smile as I climb a mountain pass towing with ease.
    2011 Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax
    2013 Volt
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 Dart Rallye,87 Fiero 3800SC

Quote Originally Posted by C/K Man View Post
    I wonder what the future is for DMAX. Isuzu isn't much of a partner in it anymore, and Isuzu never seemed to get anything out of the joint venture other than supplying parts to it. When GM designed the 4.5L Duramax 'in-house', it made DMAX look a bit redundant. At some point, the 6.6L will need to be significantly updated or replaced. Will DMAX engineer a replacement? Of course, GM and Isuzu could use DMAX in future joint projects, but then again Isuzu doesn't have much of a presence in the U.S., even in commercial trucks anymore.
    Ummm you are wrong on the trucks. Isuzu is the #1 CO( for got not many MD truck people here! CO= Cab Over) truck! Get out of this country and you will see the number one selling diesel engine is Isuzu. At one time every reefer trailer that had a themo king unit on it & was diesel fuled had a small isuzu engine in it! If if wasnt for Isuzu helping GM we would still be in the hole on diesel pick up engines!

Emissions: Isuzu had the emmissions done and working several years before the US required it and before GM had any system. Isuzu may not have much of a presence in this country with cars and light duty trucks but in the world they do. Back When GM was building Medium Duty trucks, I would talk my customers into buying the inline six Duramax over the Cat engine as it had a far superior warranty and was a stronger engine bar none!
    Last edited by 88Fiero; 11-16-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Ford has their 6.7 Powerbroke engine, and Rolls Royce level interiors with solid granite fenders and solid axles made from industrial grade diamonds. Surely real truck guys would buy Ford instead of the clunkers that GM builds?

What the hell are you talking about? Did you just come from a different planet? When Ford dropped the 7.3, they then became the underdogs, and still are in the diesel pickups. It is a known fact on the used market, no matter what kind of used vehicle lot you have, that when you appraise a 6.0 diesel you deduct for that engine whatever you think as you know you will have some expense down the road. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE SWITCHED TO THE DURAMAX??? BECAUSE FORD DIDNT HAVE A GOOD DIESEL any more!!!! Both ford and dodge wished they had the Allison transmission.
    The Cummins engine dodge uses is a good engine, but take one apart and look at it!!! Look at the bottom end!!!!! Then do the same with the International V8 engines. Then do the DuraMax. YOU WILL SEE, A BUILT LIKE A BRICK OUT HOUSE BOTTOM END! YOU WILL SEE THE ROD CAPS ARE COLD FRACTURED, A PROCESS THAT IS the best...........well you need to do some research and get the facts jack!

Solid axles? Man that is back in the seventies! The twin i beam wears out tires in less than 20K. You really need to get out more often. Check out the front and rear axle ratings on the 2500HD. bubba. Check out the frame bubba, its the best in the business. Fully boxed front to rear.
    Last edited by 88Fiero; 11-16-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by pinyon View Post
    There must be a few of us fools that put up with this horrible stuff so we can get the Duramax/Allison. Guess I'll just have to suffer through it and smile as I climb a mountain pass towing with ease.
    As the ford and dodge fall behind! Check out all the independent tests comparing all three. The DuraMax is the best and it is coupled with the best transmission, bar none! For all you donkeys who are not aware of the fact, the Allison transmission is an Allison 1000. We had that in our GM Medium duties up to TopKick 5500. Rated Up to 24K GVWR# rating, some applications were 26K GVWR# rated 5500 TopKicks. Yes Mable you could get a 5500 rated up to 26K, I sold a few and they are running around West Michigan. They were cheaper than a 6500 rated at 26K.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by C/K Man View Post
    The 6.6 is a work horse. It was designed for use in the light duty pickups 2500-3500 & Medium Duty Trucks TopKick 4500-5500. Ask anyone who has one and pulls a BIG trailer or 5th wheel or gooseneck! That engine DELIVERS torque!

The 4.5 designed by GM powertrain was designed to fit into front engine rear wheel drive cars(that cadillac was going to build to compete with mercedes & bmw ) and light duty pickups and suvs( yukon, tahoe and the cads.) It wasnt designed to kick butt and tow a house.
    Last edited by 88Fiero; 11-16-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Perhaps my winking eye smiley did not alert you to my posts inherent sarcasm?

Thanks

There's a video on Youtube where it says the Duramax 6.6L is pretty compatible with biodiesel (may need some mods like change the fuel injection the ECU, replace rubber with synthetic...
    AWD wagons
    Feeling Good by David Burns

Biodiesel forum
    http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751
    Fuel documentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CBOdgBlk8

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Guess that's me. I have a 2002 that keeps going. Piece of ....

Usually comments as such are standard issue by a certain member in every truck thread on this board. Minus the winky though

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
    Guess that's me. I have a 2002 that keeps going. Piece of ....

Usually comments as such are standard issue by a certain member in every truck thread on this board. Minus the winky though
    So you picked up on the humor meant to channel a certain poster early on?

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

I still wish we could get this motor in a burben or yukon xl or slade esv.

Current rides: 08' Sunburst Orange Cobalt SS/TC
    12' VW Passat TDI Manual

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information