Chrysler Ramps Up Special Editions: "8-Mile" 200 By Rapper Eminem Coming Soon

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler Ramps Up Special Editions: "8-Mile" 200 By Rapper Eminem Coming Soon

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Chrysler Ramps Up Special Editions: "8-Mile" 200 By Rapper Eminem Coming Soon

The Wall Street Journal

November 27, 2012

Article Quotes:

Pruitt Chamness was visiting a Chrysler dealer when the 27-year-old Rhode Islander spotted an unusual Jeep Grand Cherokee with 20-inch black rims, a blacked-out grille and a steel-gray paint job.

It "just grabbed me," said Mr. Chamness, a data-storage salesman. "I literally didn't look at another car."

He sold his 2008 Saturn and leased the about $36,000 Altitude in September.

Chrysler Group LLC is producing more special-edition vehicles and versions of existing car and truck models that target select buyers.

One of its better-known creations is the "man van"—a version of its Dodge Grand Caravan tailored for dads who prefer sports cars but have to drive minivans to haul kids and gear.

Auto makers produce such special editions to generate buzz, command higher prices than basic models and hook customers, like Mr. Chamness, who wouldn't normally consider buying their vehicles.

Few employ the marketing tactic as extensively as Chrysler. Several of its creations will be on display this week at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Chrysler plans to unveil a sportier version of its Town & Country minivan, with a black-chrome grille and 3.6-liter, V-6 engine and a Dodge Charger Daytona edition.

Down the road is an "8 Mile" edition of the Chrysler 200 designed with Detroit rapper Eminem, and two new special-edition Ram 1500s, the Warlock and Lil' Red Express, both of them throwbacks to similar versions from the 1970s, according to dealers briefed on the plan.

These come on top of the 2013 Chrysler 300 Glacier, an all-wheel-drive sedan with blue pearl, white or silver paint and seats in ballistic nylon, a tough, durable fabric used for boots and watchbands. The target consumer: urbanites who value fashion but also cherish the outdoors.

Too many variations can overload dealers, and some editions don't always connect.

"The execution is critical, so the dealer doesn't end up having too much inventory or have it at the expense of [cars] they can sell," said John Firth, a retailing expert with Urban Science in Detroit.

Auto makers have long offered Texas Edition pickups and Eddie Bauer SUVs, but more are moving away as they try to scale back on costs and complexity by streamlining their lineups.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: Chrysler Ramps Up Special Editions: "8-Mile" 200 By Rapper Eminem Coming Soon

"8-Mile 200 Edition by Eminem"?

If it sells, more power to them.

Maybe GM could turn it up a bit in this category. The current "All-Star Special Edition" Malibu and Silverado units speak for themselves.

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Chrysler Ramps Up Special Editions: "8-Mile" 200 By Rapper Eminem Coming Soon

While Fiatsler has major brand identity and strategy issues, their product packaging and marketing in the US seems to really work well for them. Despite all the hoorah, they have a far weaker lineup than GM, yet seem to be better at squeezing every dollar out of what they have.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

These come on top of the 2013 Chrysler 300 Glacier, an all-wheel-drive sedan with blue pearl, white or silver paint and seats in ballistic nylon, a tough, durable fabric used for boots and watchbands. The target consumer: urbanites who value fashion but also cherish the outdoors.

"The execution is critical, so the dealer doesn't end up having too much inventory or have it at the expense of [cars] they can sell," said John Firth, a retailing expert with Urban Science in Detroit.

Execution? Ballistic?

Why not a Downtown Detroit at Midnight version? "Urban Science Detroit Edition."

One step further, why not actual bullet-resistant ballistic panels in seat backs, doors, and roof, back of deck lid, just like some Crown Vics cop cars had?

Paint it in various forms of digital camouflage, Battleship Grey, and other schemes that make it a more difficult target to acquire during the wee hours in Motown.

Last edited by Neanderthal; 11-27-2012 at 05:54 PM.

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Umm.. Chrysler Corp does not have any Identity Issues at all... GM on the other hand...... this 8-Mile Edition is just the Chrysler 200 "Super S" concept that was introduced by Mopar

from the sounds of it. its the last send off for the Current 200. the New 200 will be shown in Detroit

Thanks

Eminem edition? Sign me up.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 F150 ecobeast 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    "8-Mile 200 Edition by Eminem"?

If it sells, more power to them.

Maybe GM could turn it up a bit in this category. The current "All-Star Special Edition" Malibu and Silverado units speak for themselves.
    Yo word up honky mo fo

CJH
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Audi A6 4.2, Durango LTD 5.7L

The Altitude Grand Cherokee does look good, kind of styled like a Denali, but a little more attitude.
    Past Rides:
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

Came to post "in before country club racism," but I'm too late

God Bless the Blue Bullet.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

I thought GM claimed the Camaro would have a limited edition every 6 months or so

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I thought GM claimed the Camaro would have a limited edition every 6 months or so
    You don't understand GM's definition of "Limited Edition." See "the meaning of IS" for details.

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Must be fun for @ least a few @ Chrysler.....

They gots some of this going on

Its your Jeep, yeah do what you wanna' do

I won't tell ya' how to sell it thru....

Last edited by AMERICA 123; 11-27-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

Remember all those special edition Dusters back in the '70s?
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Honda big on this in Japan with the Honda SHE'S ..it's a Honda fit in pink interior and exterior...special window tint so the ladies don't get wrinkles from the sun and an air conditioner that does not dry out their skin.

Comes in black and white as well specially targeting women..

No reason chiseler doesn't target it's customers in various ways...

Mopar. editions have been successful as have various other showroom traffic models.

I like the idea

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Chrysler had recently won a award for Best Marketing lol so this stuff work. to bad Cadillac cant do a Elvis edition Caddy, atleast not in Pink.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information