Chrysler CEO: Several Intros Pushed Back; Dart Needs Improved Engine/Trans

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chrysler CEO: Several Intros Pushed Back; Dart Needs Improved Engine/Trans

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Chrysler CEO: Several Intros Pushed Back; Dart Needs Improved Engine/Trans

The Wall Street Journal

January 16, 2013

Article Quotes:

Chrysler Group LLC Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne said on Monday he isn’t satisfied with sales of the new Dodge Dart, but he added that the compact car will soon get a new transmission that should help boost demand.

The all-new nameplate, Chrysler’s first compact sedan in seven years, went on sale in June. In the Dart’s first six months of sales, Chrysler has sold about 25,000 of the cars, far less than its rivals in that size.

Still, Mr. Marchionne sees plenty of potential for the Dart, a car derived from an Alfa Romeo model designed by majority owner Fiat SpA of Italy.

Mr. Marchionne attributed the slow sales to the car being launched last year with a manual transmission, an option that appeals to only 5% of the marketplace in the U.S. He also said the engine and transmission options need to be improved, given the competition.

“We learned the hard way,” Mr. Marchionne said. “And we learned quickly.”

Chrysler aims to remedy the issues with a new nine-speed transmission that will eventually go into the Dart. Mr. Marchionne didn’t offer a time frame, saying only that the first allocations of the new transmission will go to a Jeep sport-utility vehicle arriving this summer.

Mr. Marchionne also said several other vehicles that were scheduled to be launched this year under Chrysler’s 2009 five-year plan have now been pushed back to 2014, including a compact car under the Chrysler brand.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: Chrysler CEO: Several Intros Pushed Back; Dart Needs Improved Engine/Trans

You have to hand it to Mr. Marchionne. The man sees a problem, he goes all out until a solution is found. They say he works 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. People have compared him to Lee Iacocca, but while Mr. Iacocca was a good politician, Mr. Marchionne is a true leader, a true manager.

He will take the Chrysler/Fiat group far.

-----------------------------------------

Incentive Note: Looking for a compact car with a manual transmission? Chrysler will double the incentive on the Dart if you purchase one with a manual transmission.

-----------------------------------------

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    You have to hand it to Mr. Marchionne. The man sees a problem, he goes all out until a solution is found. People have compared him to Lee Iacocca, but while Lee was a good politician, Mr. Marchionne is a true leader, a true manager.
    I totally agree.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks

[QUOTE=Perian;2635392]You have to hand it to Mr. Marchionne. The man sees a problem, he goes all out until a solution is found. They say he works 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. People have compared him to Lee Iacocca, but while Mr. Iacocca was a good politician, Mr. Marchionne is a true leader, a true manager.

He will take the Chrysler/Fiat group far.

QUOTE]

I completely agree on the last part. I've never been a big Mopar guy, but he is starting to make a believer out of me.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Chrysler has done a pretty good job making changes where they need to be made. Most car decisions they made in the last few years have been good (did just enough to keep the 200 and Avenger compeitive and profitable, good job on the 300 and Charger, gotten the Ram the 8 speed autos before the competition, telling people that further changes are coming to the Dart, etc.)

HOWEVER, they have to be careful to balance the need to 'get things right' and to push them back too far. Sure, you WANT to correct your mistakes and you WANT to make sure your product is 'just right' at launch, but you don't want to fall into the trap of waiting too long so the competition beats you to where you want to go....or even worse that you are afraid of that so you 'announce' your products and then make people wait too long to actually get them (otherwise known by outsiders of GM as "GM's engineering by press release.)

But as for as Chrysler goes lately...I am a fan so far. I have never been a Chryser guy myself, but we bought our first Chyrsler ever last year (a new 3.6 powered Avenger) and so far it has been the BEST new car--for the money (paid about $20k after incentives) we have had. My close cousin, who's last 5 cars up until this year had all been GM or Ford Vehicles, just bought a new Blacktop Charger and he is happier with that than anything he has had also.
    Last edited by mjd1001; 01-16-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Thanks

Good to see Marchionne recognizing a problem and is hands on in dealing with it. I wanted the Dart to succeed in the marketplace but it ran into a brutally competitive compact car segment. I hope Chrysler do the right thing with this car to make it a success.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

I'm just waiting on the Dart GT. It would be a good replacement for my wife's old Mazda 3s hatch.
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Dave B's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the looks ofthe Dart but the faster they improve the powertrain the better, and Marchionne seems on top of it.
    ------------------------------
    07 Impala 3.5L VVT ..ONSTAR ROCKS... (GF's car)
    99 Cutlass 3.1L (sold)
    Some MOPAR stuff with Mods...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

SRT4 please

Thanks

No votes by committee, no beaurucratic red tape, no mindless endless boardroom meetings to approve the smallest most insignificant things, just expedited rational judgement from a man that I would consider a maverick in his line of business. Glad to see Marchionne continue to make improvements where and when needed. This is how you run a company!
    Last edited by CrunkedRL; 01-16-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks

If this was the same situation with a GM car, people here would be gathering torches and pitchforks and cursing Dan Akerson.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    If this was the same situation with a GM car, people here would be gathering torches and pitchforks and cursing Dan Akerson.
    Does GM pay you to be the ultimate fanboi? If so, you should be getting paid triple!

Thanks

Does GM pay you to be the ultimate fanboi? If so, you should be getting paid triple!
    I call em as I see em, if the harsh truth hurts, perhaps you should go somewhere else.

jld
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

They can call it an Alfa Romeo all they want. I see a Neon.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    I call em as I see em, if the harsh truth hurts, perhaps you should go somewhere else.
    No people are sick of hearing the same excuses from GM that we were hearing 5 years ago before the whole Bankruptcy mess. Yes, GM has made tremendous progress with their cars but in the meantime we still don't have a flagship Cadillac with a proper V8 drivetrain, the Cruze still doesn't have a hatchback or coupe bodystyle, the Malibu is a mess, the Impala is overpriced, the SRX isn't the proper car for Cadillac, the CTS is old, etc. I mean I could go on and on.

What is great about Chrysler is that 5 years ago they were in worse shape than GM, and now I wouldn't hesitate to say they are now in better shape than GM is. GM needs to step and recognize what the market whats and needs and work on that to stay relevant.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information