GM Inside News Forum banner

Which cars have drivers that get the most tickets?

4K views 24 replies 24 participants last post by  demonspeed 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Mercury Topaz? WTF

I'm assuming this somewhat based on age. Most of the rice rockets are probably bought by younger guys who tend to speed more. Though if true it kind of tells me that the Mustang and Camaro aren't being bought by the young 20 somethings (most likely because of price), which tells me that GM needs to get something out there to attract them.

#6 ·
Mercury Topaz? WTF

I'm assuming this somewhat based on age. Most of the rice rockets are probably bought by younger guys who tend to speed more. Though if true it kind of tells me that the Mustang and Camaro aren't being bought by the young 20 somethings (most likely because of price), which tells me that GM needs to get something out there to attract them.
If you'll watch World's Dumbest, you'll notice a lot of the drunk shirtless wife beaters arrested at the trailer park at 0300 after a car chase from the Stop-N-Rob, were driving/aiming Topazes and other aging clunkers which are easy to steal, are probably left running with the keys in them when the owners run in for a 12-pack, and also can easily be purchased by ne'er-do-wells for fie hunnert bucks. And of course the drivers are ticketed.

#3 ·
that list cracks me Up. I can see the WRX, GTO, FR-S, and Supra being in the top 5 since they are sporty cars, but the Tribeca? Topaz? Auro? Reno? Prius C? Hilarious

I think this list goes to show that getting a speeding ticket really does not have anything to do with the speed of the vehicle, its all about the idiots driving them.

#5 ·
BUICK REGAL

Overall rank: 314

Percentage with tickets: 17.9%

Average for all cars: 19.9%

SATURN OUTLOOK

Overall rank: 120

Percentage with tickets: 22.1%

Average for all cars: 19.9%

#9 ·
CHEVY CORVETTE: Overall rank - 420, Percentage with tickets - 15.2%

DODGE DART: Overall rank - 22, Percentage with tickets - 26.7%

I totally disagree! I drove cross country in my Dart and received 0 tickets. Same route with my Corvette (driving the same 80ish mph), I received 3 tickets!

#11 · (Edited)
BUICK ROADMASTER: Overall rank: 424 Percentage with tickets: 15.1%

CHEVROLET SUBURBAN: Overall rank: 389 Percentage with tickets: 16.1%

CHEVROLET CRUZE: Overall rank: 32 Percentage with tickets: 26.1%

Guess I better be careful with my Cruze! :)

It is all about how you drive. I've never had a ticket.

#12 · (Edited)
Basically, what this study indicates is speed limits are set way too low in America. If they set limits at the suggested NHTSA 85th percentile of driver speed on a roadway with no speed limit posted, they would have much higher limits and less tickets to give out. The truth is speed limits are set intentionally low to garner revenue for the local and state judicial system. The campaign to brain wash voters into thinking slower speeds, such as 55 MPH, is safer is hard to overcome. Michigan and other state legislators are trying to get the limits raised to a more reasonable speed but some of the low information voters and those who profit from the revenue (with their many lobbyists) are a serious hurdle. The safety issue revolves around the 10-15 percent of drivers who refuse to break the law, even though they otherwise would have no issue keeping up with the flow of traffic. This causes congestion and accidents whereby a majority of drivers wish to travel at higher speeds that the roadway is clearly designed to handle safely, especially considering todays much safer automobiles.

http://www.freep.com/article/201308...awmakers-look-at-lifting-highway-speed-limits

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/2...se-michigan-speed-limits-to-as-high-as-80-mph

BTW, keep in mind, if 20% of drivers/owners are getting tickets there are still a bunch more who speed yet don't get ticketed. This just further underscores the fact speed limits are set much lower than what is recommended as the safest speed. And further indicates that speed limits have nothing to do with safety but everything to do with robbing the tax payer of more money. Speeding tickets (in most cases) are just another form of hidden tax to pay for the illegitimacy of another government entity. It's extortion to the highest degree! :yup:

HOW CITIES ROB YOU:
http://thegeorgiaspeedingticketkiller.com/cities_rob_you_2.php

#13 ·
They put my car at #164 and percentage with tickets: 21.0%. Even more interesting is that what I traded for the Malibu, a Le Sabre is #383 and percentage with tickets: 16.3%. All in all I still say the best comment here so far is from WishIhadatruck and "it's all about how you drive". I fully agree with that, 'cause it's been 6 or 8 yrs. since I've had a ticket(knock on wood).:)

#19 ·
It's those WRX's trying to prove they are faster than the domestic muscle and the muscle not flexing back. Them WRX's are fast, but they don't need to speed every where to prove it. The tickets must be their way of showing proof of how fast they are.....

Where do I find the list based on Car type (coupe, sedan, suzie soccer mom texting - I mean minivan/SUV/CUV...) and color?

#21 · (Edited)
The issue with the GTO is the cost of the cars are cheap enough now that most of the drivers are really young. It's pretty apparent if you visit pretty much any GTO forum. Also another GLARING issue with the data is that ownership of a certain type of vehicle doesn't necessarily equate to being the person who was driving while getting a ticket or even that a given vehicle was ticketed.

#24 ·
Interesting list.

I guess I made good choices - at least from a ticketing perspective

Me: SATURN ASTRA - rank 392 - Percent ticketed 16.1%
Wife: BUICK ENCLAVE - rank 441 - Percent ticketed 14.5%

It's interesting that among the Lambda's there's a huge difference in ticketing rates:
120 SATURN OUTLOOK 22.1%
170 GMC ACADIA 20.8%
303 CHEVROLET TRAVERSE 18.3%
441 BUICK ENCLAVE 14.5%

#25 ·
Interestingly, the only speeding tickets I have ever received have not come from my fun cars. One was in a long-ago girlfriend's Z26 only because I was going down a mountain and wasn't interested in riding the brakes that day. The other was in the Silverado delivery truck for the dealership I worked for -- I was in an unfamiliar area and the speed limit dropped from one side of an underpass to the other. I'm pretty sure that setup was solely for revenue generation.

With that said, I've received a couple "too fast for conditions" tickets, but those stories are for another time :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.