GM Inside News Forum banner

Can't afford an Ariel Atom?.....Here's the next best thing..... Starting at only 20 g

13K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  BustedCrank 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I would rather have a Can Am Spyder that has been around for several years.
+1... The steering wheel and side by side seating seem like a square peg in a round hole. Can Am's layout makes more sense: a motorcycle without the inherent instability. The Polaris looks like an unfinished car and I'd imagine you'd lose some of the motorcycle freedom experience.

#11 ·
This is powered by a GM ecotec. Weighs about 1700 pounds, rated at 170 or so horsepower. Comparing this to a Can-Am isn't exactly fair. IMO, this is like a KTM or even a Lotus Elise. And since the waiver ran out for the Elise, you can't get those any more.

Of course it makes no sense. It can't carry groceries. But it does look like fun. I wish Polaris all the best. At least they have tried. And trying is more than most will ever do.

#13 ·
What do you do with this thing? It's not a commuter, it's not a daily driver, it has no advantage in negotiating traffic not much advantage in parking.

And you could take a V6 Mustang to 'track day' and have a blast in it.

IIRC a base Miata is only about $25K and that's an even closer match to this with the same 'real car' properties. And the base Miata is a convertible for that open air cycle feeling.

I thought maybe it would have some kind of killer Hp/lbs ratio but it doesn't. 170hp and 1700lbs.

Yes it's a 'toy' but a base Mustang and Miata are toys that act like real cars as well.

#16 ·
I'd ridden my BMW in thunderstorms, below-40f weather (including during flurries), and in +90f weather...I don't see what the big deal about not having a cabin is

#19 ·
3500lbs/300hp = 11.6lbs/hp not that far off from this. Not far at all. They certainly 'come close.' You spend 50% more $ and you have a Mustang GT with like 8.5lbs/hp.

Miata is awfully close in terms of 'wind in the hair' and low slung ride etc. And it's a car that does things like protect you from rain and cold.

If it had a lbs/hp more like a motorcyle - like 5lbs/hp - yeah I could see it.

#20 ·
I think folks here are really missing the point of this, but it seems guionM summed it up nicely in his previous post. The Ariel Atom & the KTM X-Bow are pretty unique as well, but look at the price of those things! The Slingshot runs in the $20k-$25k range, and is simply meant as a weekend plaything. If you like the feeling of a true car, then go look at a true car. This simply is, and was meant to be, something else entirely...

Looks like a lot of fun, and I look forward to trying one out when they hit the streets. It ultimately may not be what I'm looking for, but I'm curious just the same.

:)

#24 ·
You guys are missing the point. That's a ton of difference between those two in lbs/hp. And what's most important, 1800lbs.

For anyone that's ever gone fast outside of a straight line, might as well be 18 million. This thing will run rings around a V6 Mustang or a Miata with the right tires and suspension setup. Guaranteed.

#25 ·
I agree that it looks a little funny ( the transformer comment is spot on!), this thing isn't for everyone. Its not meant to replace a motorcycle. Its not meant to be a daily driver. This is a TOY, much like a track car, quad, or side by side. Honestly, with the popularity of side by sides (that can be over 20k themselves), and with more and more states allowing them to be registered for the street, Im surprised we haven't seen something like this sooner. I've been waiting for the performance street versions of the rzr and maverick. I, for one, hope this thing sells, could bring some very interesting and fun vehicles to the market.

While it won't have the performance of the atom (which can be street legal in the US), or the commodities of a Miata. It sure will be fun to drive.

#27 ·
it will take the solstice gxp turbo 2.0L...plus any bolt ons...not that I'd want that with one drive wheel.

they claim 0.98g with skinny street tires. not out of range of a used cobalt ss with upgraded suspension/tires...and cheaper.

the only saving grace would be exclusivity...which isn't in line with its $20k price tag. it will sell.

#28 ·
#34 ·
Wrong.....physics at play here.

The most capable 3 wheeler is one that has 2 wheels in the front.

Ever tip over or seen someone tip over on a tricycle when you were a kid when they tried to turn on a dime?

When you make a sharp turn at high speed (say in a Corvette), which do you think has more grip and stability? Having a single wheel up front or having 2?

As for your example of you rather having that trike in the first picture, I'm assuming you're engaging in comedy relief. :)

#29 ·
I would look at one as a commuter. I commute about 85% of the year on a motorcycle now. Being open to the elements wouldn't be anything new. Being fun to drive would be an added bonus above the benefits of it being registered as a motorcycle when HOV/HOT lanes are involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.