GM Inside News Forum banner

Britain’s Best Driver’s Car 2014

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Ruperts Trooper 
#1 · (Edited)
Britain’s Best Driver’s Car 2014

Britain's Best Driver's Car

Story and final results at the link above. I think the Corvette did well considering the competition.

#5 · (Edited)
A standard C7 is a quick car. And an ATS is a fine car, but thy've only seen the 2.0T and 3.6 and not the ATS-V so it's not surprising it didn't get a look in. Plus - big inch eights have limited applicability when a M4 has similar track performance but uses half the juice in town when your fuel is $6 an imperial gallon. And it's available in correct-hand drive. And the C7 isn't for everyone.

#10 ·
I'm thinking because of availability. Next year will be very interesting with the Z06 and new Porsche GT3. That little Cayman continues to impress.

#9 ·
That's some tough competition. No shame in finishing middle of the pack in that field, especially given the Stingray's price.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Ariel Atom 3.5R – 1min 10.7sec
Ferrari 458 Speciale – 1min 11.9sec
McLaren 650S – 1min 12.9sec
Porsche 911 GT3 – 1min 13.1sec
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray – 1min 14.3sec
Jaguar F-type R coupé – 1min 14.3sec
Vauxhall VXR8 GTS – 1min 14.9sec
BMW M4 – 1min 16.8sec
Porsche Cayman GTS – 1min 17.4sec
Alfa Romeo 4C – 1min 17.7sec
BMW i8 – 1min 19.4sec
Renault Mégane RS 275 Trophy – 1min 19.4sec

The C7 put down the 5th fastest lap time as well, a time that is a tie with the 546BHP Jaguar F-type R which I find impressive. It beat the BMW M4 by more then 2 seconds while at the same time returning better fuel economy . BMW M4 17/20/26 (6 speed manual) 20/28/24 (7 speed DCT) Corvette 17/21/29 (7 speed manual) 16/20/29 (8 speed automatic). In the UK the C7 is rated at 24MPG combined.

#15 · (Edited)
Notice how the M4 got beat by the G8 err SS.. If the Z/28 was there it would probably have been right up with with the Jaguar, probably faster depending on the track configuration. BMW has no Mojo these days.

The GT3 is a great drivers car, I just think the performance is lagging, given its a new generation. It still cannot take down the old C6 Z06, at some point, buyers are going to start wondering about pricing and if its worth it.
Its also somewhat disappointing that Chevrolet is not going to build a new high revving 7.0 liter direct injection motor similar to what the C6 Z06 had. Given now they have respect in the world of performance and enough performance products for good stuff to go around, between Chevrolet performance and Cadillac, they can probably sell each one they can build, especially with their performance engine sales division. If they are worried about CAFE, they just need to price it to a point where the low volume justify the build plus exclusivity without affecting cafe too much.

Imagine a 7500 RPM motor making something like 550 HP and 530 pound feet of torque without turbos.. It would sell in a track focused corvette. Man.

Meanwhile, the UK press is just so track focused, its almost like this is not a best drivers car but a best track day car test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.