Beijing: Roewe unveils Buick LaCrosse-based 950 flagship sedan - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beijing: Roewe unveils Buick LaCrosse-based 950 flagship sedan

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Beijing: Roewe unveils Buick LaCrosse-based 950 flagship sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Burr View Post
    Why would GM do this? Political pressure?
    It's a mandate of the partnership, not something they're doing under duress.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I agree....a very Hyundai hint to the appearance....

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Terrain Denali, White

I'm seeing a lot of 2012 Azera up front

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

I love how the ad has "ROEWE - Wrong Way" as its tagline!

PS. Yes I know that Roewe's Chinese name is "Rongwai".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralViscen View Post
    Why?
    Surely someone of your acumen can detect sarcasm.
    Last edited by t-rex; 04-24-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rsbaker View Post
    The question I have is, why is GM/Buick helping yet another Chinese company develop their own cars? Am I missing Seomthing? What does GM get out of it?
    as BlackGTP just noted, GM's making money off this.

Some of you are under this ridiculous Foxnewsesque belief that all Chinese companies just steal stuff left and right. Yes, many Chinese companies steal technology, but NOT those engaged in joint-ventures with foreign manufacturers. Would YOU remain business partners with someone who stole from you? Hell no. And neither would any carmaker. SAIC didn't just go and rip off the GM platform and make its own car. It paid GM for the privilege of using the LaCrosse platform and buys the powertrains from GM. So GM gets a cut off of every 950 that Roewe will sell. It's no different than GM paying Suzuki for the rights to build and sell all those Geo's in the 1990s.

And lest we forget, GM was losing its ASS around 2008, when the LaCrosse was under development. If my sources are correct, GM didn't have the money to continue LaCrosse deelopment, so SAIC picked up the tab and in return, GM gave SAIC a "share", if you will, in the LaCrosse's design, which SAIC used to create the 950.

I hope that made things a little more clear.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    No.GM's "upper crust" products are its absolute trashiest. The ATS has all the design charisma of a box of tampons and is a sad, pathetic ripoff of the class progenitor. It has all the originality and innovation of a reality TV show. The XTS is handsome, but is nothing but a very overpriced Impala. Escalade? I can't possibly discuss it without using racist epithets. Buick Regal? Nice, but it's not a Buick, it's an Opel, a German everyman's car, not a "premium" car by any means. Enclave? Lovely to look at... but the whole concept of such large SUVs is so beyond insanely stupid, I refuse to discuss the issue. And and I'll be kind to the LaCrosse by simply not discussing what a cheap-looking, poorly-designed, dull, derivative (and blatant Lexus ripoff) design it is. The CTS is nice, but other than the very interesting wagon variant, there's not a single reason to buy one over its non-Japanese competitors. Only people with low standards could possibly hold such vehicles in high regard.
    The Corvette serves its appointed duty in a perfunctory manner, but thanks to that wizardry known as GM's marketing department, the car has managed to garner a reputation not of a serious GT, but as a status symbol for fat, balding, middle-aged men who leave their wives to run off with some "exotic dancer." The "Z" in "Z06" surely must stand for "Zbornak"....
    GM's most clever products are the ones that most of the local redneck denizenry poke fun at: such as the chirpy, cheap 'n' cheerful little Spark, a far more interesting car than the dour Toyota Aygo or cheap 'n' not-very-cheerful Hyundai i10.
    GM cars aren't bad... they're just not that great. There's nothing particularly interesting about them, and other than oddball niches (Corvette, Lambdas), there's not a single GM product that's not shown up by some other manufacturer. I applaud GM for some of its clever innovations, such as E-boost, and its sheer audacity to produce the Volt, but there needs to be much, much, much more innovation at GM.
    So while GM tackles the bottom end with a great degree of competency, it totally fails at the upper end, which is where automakers show their real mettle. When Buicks are competing with Mercedeses, and Cadillac are leeching Bentley customers, then I'll give GM the props it deserves. Until then, it's brickbats...
    I find it disturbing you are so negative toward GM. Why do you bother to come here?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    as BlackGTP just noted, GM's making money off this.

Some of you are under this ridiculous Foxnewsesque belief that all Chinese companies just steal stuff left and right. Yes, many Chinese companies steal technology, but NOT those engaged in joint-ventures with foreign manufacturers. Would YOU remain business partners with someone who stole from you? Hell no. And neither would any carmaker. SAIC didn't just go and rip off the GM platform and make its own car. It paid GM for the privilege of using the LaCrosse platform and buys the powertrains from GM. So GM gets a cut off of every 950 that Roewe will sell. It's no different than GM paying Suzuki for the rights to build and sell all those Geo's in the 1990s.

And lest we forget, GM was losing its ASS around 2008, when the LaCrosse was under development. If my sources are correct, GM didn't have the money to continue LaCrosse deelopment, so SAIC picked up the tab and in return, GM gave SAIC a "share", if you will, in the LaCrosse's design, which SAIC used to create the 950.

I hope that made things a little more clear.
    GM had the money to develop its platforms, until the crash, it did not need to mortgage itself.. until the markets came to a halt

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    This car is definitely a step back from the previous car that was Rover 75 based ( Roewe 750).

I think that the major difference is a subtler coloured wood. There seems to be just about the same amount but it is not as 'in your face' as the brighter wood on the 750.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by stevecmh View Post
    looks great.. i like the interior alot
    Throw a little eAssist in the mix - and they'll be all set.

A sub brand of sorts for Buick in China - not named Chevrolet..... gotta' love it and give great thanks for both parts of that.

Kinda' a better 'new' Impala....... for them.

Outstanding.

Chinese Government will appreciate all the above.

Looks like a good move +........ with additional great potential for later.

Now all we need is GM to get Chebbie all lined up with Wuling and then ..... nothing but silk.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 04-26-2012 at 12:48 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information