GM Inside News Forum banner

Aussie record breaking June sales, Hyundai i30 No1, Ford No6 sales down -17% ouch!

3K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  isszy 
#1 · (Edited)
Aussie Top 10 June Sales
1 Hyundai i30 5,521 +70%
2 Toyota Hilux 4,281 0%
3 Toyota Corolla 4,152 -11%
4 Mazda3 4,127 -9%
5 Mitsubishi Triton 3,526 -15%
6 Ford Ranger 3,372 +5%
7 Holden Commodore 2,772 -12%
8 VW Golf 2,682 +19%
9 Toyota Camry 2,602 +9%
10 Mazda CX-5 2,512 +14%

Aussie Top 15 Brands in June
1 Toyota 21,501 +3%
2 Holden 11,928 -3%
3 Mazda 11,526 +23%
4 Hyundai 11,007 +10%
5 Mitsubishi 9,011 +9%
6 Ford 7,251 -17%
7 Volkswagen 7,103 +8%
8 Nissan 6,636 -17%
9 Honda 5,311+70%
10 Subaru 4,502 +17%
11 Kia 3,666 +11%
12 Mercedes 3,661 +20%
13 BMW 2,814 +28%
14 Isuzu 2,675 +26%
15 Jeep 2,657 -15%

Aussie car sales records were smashed in June in a record breaking month sales up +6% on last year in the best sales month ever recorded, where the hell did the demand for the Hyundai i30 pop-up from sales up +70% straight into the No1 spot come from? Honda sales are rocketing sales up +70% (Honda HR-V). Japanese automakers are pulling away apart from Nissan, Toyota seem to have a massive lead with 17.5% Aussie market share in 2015.

Will adding +20 new Opels/Chevy models sold a huge loss, make up for the loss of 1 model sales, to make future market share look good?
Holden No1 & Ford No2 where did it all go horribly all wrong?

Ford & Nissan both down -17% are slipping down sales chart with a massive fall off in sales in a record breaking sales month, Ford certainly are gonna miss the Falcon & UTE when they are gone Ford Ranger is Ford's only rock Mitsubishi overtake and the Blue Oval has VW looking very close in the rear view mirror.. Holden sales slipped a little -3% if you take the Commodore numbers out Holden might be sitting just above Ford in the future when the big Holden v8 has gone BMW (sales up +28%) & Mercedes Benz (sales up +20%) with a better future seem to be mopping up Falcon/Commodore RWD slack. Cruze hit 1,725 sales as it cruised past the Colorado 1,500 sales.

See less See more
#2 ·
Only 62 Astra's were sold which is disappointing, thought Holden would be able to move a couple of hundred a month. Perhaps a loaded five door hatchback should have been brought in too to sit above the Cruze H/B.
Captiva5 has a good month with 869 sold and Colorado7 sells 353.

#3 ·
The Hyundai i30 had a spring 2015 facelift which are now in showrooms and would give Astra/Focus a good run for their money in Europe if some halo performance versions were available.

I've just helped my daughter-in-law source a 6-month old i30 as her first car - picked it up this morning and with 4.5 years warranty and breakdown/recovery service as well as 4 years free servicing, we're all very pleased with it.

#5 · (Edited)
That nice bit of news Rupert, hope the Daughter-In-law enjoys it gets many happy years of motoring out of it, l have gotta say you get a deal from Hyundia how much warranty does it have on it?

I am like you Rupert l have own a lot of Fords in the past, l would probably go with a Hyundia rather than a dull Focus if l had the to make the choice, the Hyundia is better finished underneath and you get a better warranty and service deal thrown in as well.

All new cars in this class are pretty dull to be honest, the Golf has always sold better in the past because of it much better rear space.

Aussies are very practical people know a good deal when they see one,the Hyundai is very reliable and a lot better finished than a Focus, and Ford spares are very very expensive these days a big massive rip off these days.

Cheap spares was the main reason you used to buy old skool Fords in the past a set of new rear brake shoes would cost around $35 today, you go and look for yourself at the price of a set of Aussie Ranger rear brake shoes from you main Ford UK dealer Rupert, l doubt if you would walk away with much change from $350 about £275 and that's if you fit them yourself, add expensive Ford labor costs and you will be struggling to put food on your plate if you shoes are worn, it's what is known aa a total rip off Rupert.

It's not hard to see why Aussies are buying Hyundai and dumping Focus's Rupert in Australia.

#6 ·
The UK factory warranty for Hyundai is 5 years unlimited mileage, with breakdown/recovery cover for the full 5 years - I tried to get her into a Kia as that's 7 years limited to 100,000 miles but she preferred the Hyundai.

In contrast Vauxhall's UK warranty is 1 year unlimited mileage with a further 2 years but limited to 60,000 miles in total - breakdown/recovery is 1 year - AFAIK Ford are similar to Vauxhall.

#7 · (Edited)
Sorry Rupert l was not very clear, l meant what is the corrosion warranty?

How much had it depreciated in 6 months from new, just interested.

Sounds like you have got her a great deal Rupert, how much an hour are UK main dealers charging per hour for servicing cars these days, 4 years free servicing on a second hand car that's a great deal Rupert.

#9 ·
Why have Fords sales slumped so much, it not another production line constraining logistics problem, Hyundia seem to have no such problems they can just supply another 70% and flood the Aussie market out with cheap deals on cars with long term warranties & free servicing/breakdown cover like the great Ruperts has just got his Daughter in law.

#10 ·
Don't pay too much heed to June sales - end of financial year, coupled with Feds throwing instant $20,000 tax-deductibiliy at small business to try and create some business momentum with Hyundai offering the I30 at $19,990 driveaway with auto and 5/5/5 years warranty/breakdown/servicing. A lot of small businesses got themselves a new car, judging by the number of brand new I30s with signwriting I am seeing.

They did this back in 93 with the Excel - it outsold the Commodore once on model changeover for a month.Having said that, Holden is not exactly pushing Aussie built stock. I've seen a couple of new Astras - no Insignias, no Cascadas, no VXRs.

There're so many deals around it's not funny, and Holden amongst others has extended it's pre-June 30 sale to August.

My local dealer has fantastic prices - HSVs are about $20K off for a Clubsport R8 driveaway. SS[V Redline with auto $15K off, if you factor driveawy pricing in.

BMW and Mercedes are just going strength-strength. Prices of their cars are down, equipment levels are up - hence, they are selling hand over fist.

#19 ·
It'll be no consolation but the next generation of car buyers will get back regional models from Ford and GM when they realising that selling US-market cars in other global markets doesn't work.

The "One Ford" Mondeo is experiencing market-resistance in Europe because Ford's justified reputation for good handling family cars has been demolished by the soft, smooth-riding suspension from the Fusion fitted to the new Mondeo, on a basis of "one size fits all".

The successful car makers from Japan, Korea and Germany have no plans to produced homogenised global models because they recognise that different continents have different requirements.

#33 ·
The successful car makers from Japan, Korea and Germany have no plans to produced homogenised global models because they recognise that different continents have different requirements.
Hmm, it's hard to said. How long they could resist to the temptation?

I wonder how Mitsubishi do Down Under since they closed the Townsley Park plant they inherited from Chrysler Australia?

And since when Renault is back in Australia? I saw their website http://www.renault.com.au/home and I'm surprised to see the Trafic selling there. And since it was made in a joint-venture with GM-Europe. I thought of a missed opportunity and could had been sold as a Holden Vivaro.

And how Fiat and Alfa-Romeo do Down Under?

#27 ·
We are one of those sales statistics now, While I am still thinking about getting a SSV ute before they stop building them, the lease on my wife's Cruze ran out, it was a good car ( 6m Diesel hatch ) she is a rural real estate agent so covers a lot of K's , went to the Holden dealer, wanted to move up from the Cruze, nothing floated her boat, I tried talking her into a Calais, but needed the diesel economy, ended up across the road at the Mercedes dealer, not serious, just kicking tyres, walked out the door with a C250 CGI Coupe which she loves!

#32 ·
People expect a real estate agent to have a flashy car. Not so much a school lab tech - so my wife gets some interesting looks...

#34 ·
Mitsubishi do OK in Australia, but mostly with the Triton and Lancer. Someone needs to shoot their advertising team since they came up with a new 'cute' nickname for the car (I've never heard of anyone call it a 'Mitsi').

Renault came back in 2001 and have slowly built up a following again. They came back in on the strength of Nissan's reputation. Main staples have been the Megane and Clio, although the Trafic and Kangoo sell pretty well. My godson is an enduro motorbike racer and has a Trafic - they are awesome for the dirtbike set as they fit 3 bikes in the back with tools.

Holden looked at the Vivaro from what I understand but got stood up.

Fiat and Alfa plod along - a lot of Alfa advertising at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.