GM Inside News Forum banner

April 2016 Sales - GM’s Retail Sales Rise for 12th Consecutive Month

13K views 186 replies 48 participants last post by  zx010203 
#1 · (Edited)
GM’s Retail Sales Rise for 12th Consecutive Month Driven by Chevrolet, Buick and GMC

Link

- Chevrolet remains the industry’s fastest-growing full-line brand of 2016 with retail sales up 4 percent in April

- Buick’s retail sales up 13 percent; GMC retail sales up 5 percent

- Commercial deliveries up for 30th consecutive month

- Daily rental deliveries down nearly 18,000 units, or 39 percent

DETROIT – General Motors (NYSE: GM) delivered 200,656 vehicles in April to individual or “retail” customers, up 3 percent year-over-year, driven by an 13 percent increase at Buick, 5 percent increase at GMC and a 4 percent increase at Chevrolet. GM’s Commercial deliveries were up for the 30th consecutive month while daily rental sales were down nearly 18,000 vehicles. GM total sales were down about 4 percent to 259,557 vehicles.

(continued at link)

Sales Chart:

See less See more
#2 ·
Not being sarcastic, but I find the SS sales increase to be pretty impressive. Nearly doubled despite GM putting way uglier wheels on it and taking away the CD player (which is only a big deal to me and probably two other people). Otherwise, this report looks kinda rough.

#8 ·
It's because they were blowing out 2015 models with $10,000+ rebates. They were being snatched up ridiculously fast at prices between $36k and $39k. It was a great time to buy!

Reactions: Ed753
#4 ·
Man...they really need to break out the classic models. This is just hard to decipher what's going on.
Welcome to the club, I've been saying that for what, 3 years now (Impala)

Now we've got Cruze & Malibu, and in a few months Acadia...........

Kind of funny, when you think about it; they beak-out Escalade, the only difference is wheelbase, the others are completely different cars.

I will give them a :clap: for breaking out XT5, and not doing a SRX/XT5, but sure looks confusing.......... XT5, XTS :blink:

#5 ·
".......................daily rental sales were down nearly 18,000 vehicles......................."

So, running total GM is down +/-61,000 rental cars in 4 months; at what point does GM stop "beating this drum" and a "good" thing become a bad thing?

#11 ·
Another strong month for the Volt and Malibu. Cruze looks better than I expected due to the shut down, but I bet it will have an effect on next month's sales as well.

Cadillac... ouch. They are in desperate need of an effective marketing campaign and fast. I bet next month will look better with the new offerings being more plentiful.

#12 ·
-Malibu continues its hot start...Outsold Fusion I see. I am seeing Malibu's everywhere. No surprise the sales numbers are good.

- 70,521 Full size trucks sold...I will take that. F-Series only edged out the full-sizers by a couple hundred.

- Colorado is not only growing, its exploding!...10,362 sales? Hot damn!

-Camaro and Cruze slowly but surly are getting there. Give them another month or two to get stock up and they will take off.

- Cascada coming in at +1,000! Nice to see. My mom's co-worker bought one earlier in the month and i was able to check it out and I must admit I think its a pretty good looking car. Loved the rims...

#14 ·
Why should they? What do the inventory numbers look like on the new Camaro? is the 4-cyl turbo even out yet?

I have yet to see one Camaro commercial on tv...Me thinks the advertising onslaught starts when GM feels like it has the numbers on the ground.

#15 ·
Cadillac is being sand-blasted in the media right now for its huge 29% sales drop.

It's a shame that GM's press release did not mention the SRX/XT5 production change-over. What's wrong with these people? Your number one seller goes production end > Job One (in a new plant yet!) and you say nothing about it???

#19 · (Edited)
Caddy is obviously suffering from the loss of SRX as they transition to XT5, but absolutely everything is down significantly for them which is bad. Right now it's hard to see a path toward growth for Caddy this year unless XT5 holds down 6-7K in sales each month this year. ATS and CTS are obvious flops from a sales perspective, I am curious however to see if profitability is worth the loss.

I'm surprised to see Chevy down this month with so many new products with 'classic' models holding down the gaps and significantly growing the brands product range. But it's really hard to understand how Chevy is doing and I'm sure they prefer it that way.

#88 ·
But that is either by design or un-excusable; there was no change-over per-se, the SRX is a 2016, they could have made them as long as they needed, certainly no need to cut off early, they've been making the XT5 for about 2 months.

If I had to guess, GM isn't making a big deal over the SRX/XT5 changeover, because they're expecting much lower sales volume of the XT5 relative to the outgoing model. They can take the PR lumps now.
That isn't going to sit well, especially sales-wise, the SRX was the only thing masking the sales implosion over at Cadillac.

#26 ·
If I had to guess, GM isn't making a big deal over the SRX/XT5 changeover, because they're expecting much lower sales volume of the XT5 relative to the outgoing model. They can take the PR lumps now.

Is the Camaro convertible on lots yet?

Reactions: paul8488
#32 ·
BTW, impressive numbers for the Buick Cascada. I am surprised it is over 1,000.

#36 ·
The funny thing is the Camaro is the one bright spot on this months sales chart and of course, its an issue. It's laughable.

Again, according to the arm chair pundits here, the 6th gen should never outsell the 5th gen. Yet, here we are.

It will NOT catch the Mustang. I could've bought a damn GT for almost the same price as I got my Camaro. There is no reason for GM to chase Ford down that rabbit hole.

#50 ·
The funny thing is the Camaro is the one bright spot on this months sales chart and of course, its an issue. It's laughable.

Again, according to the arm chair pundits here, the 6th gen should never outsell the 5th gen. Yet, here we are.

It will NOT catch the Mustang. I could've bought a damn GT for almost the same price as I got my Camaro. There is no reason for GM to chase Ford down that rabbit hole.
But don't you think that's part of the problem?

And please don't take me for a 6th gen hater, I actually disliked the 5th gen- much prefer how the new car looks and feels :p:

#39 ·
As far as Cadillac sales go I do think the changeover in SRX/XT5 is a large part of the problem. Yes, I know that all the cars are down, and the Escalade dipped a bit, but then every BMW car save the 7 Series and 2 Series is down double digits this year. It is very hard to sell a luxury car these days.

#44 ·
It makes sense for Cadillac to hold pricing on Sedans during this crossover craze, when the Sedan Market comes back, (SUV's will become stigmatized like minivans as the lactating moms buy them in droves) , Sedan Market will come back, and it will find Cadillac very well priced...

Nobody is selling any luxury Sedans right now.

#96 ·
This is what they wanted and expected when they halted the coming MCE or next gen models for the ATS and CTS. The changes he wanted screwed up the timing for the much needed upgrades. He got approval for this so they cant be worried.

#63 ·
GM pricing strategy indicates that they believe the Camaro's brand equity ranks with the Cayman, M3/4, and other high value performance nameplates. But is the Camaro brand worth the higher price point? Do high value customers consider the domestic Chevy with "inferior" pushrods as an equal to the lustful German performance cars? I think yes. The Camaro isn't a pony car that every man can afford anymore. It's now an exclusive, world beater that deserves respect because it can take down almost anything on the roads.

#74 ·
Genius!! Take your classic pony car and try to compete with revered brands whose buyers are loyal to a fault. Abandon the buyers who were loyal to your product and chase buyers smart enough to know it's about more than track numbers. The Camaro will never steal enough, if any, Cayman or M-car buyers to replace the many pony car enthusiasts they left behind.

Performance, price, and styling, are central to pony car success, when the balance gets out of whack sales will drop.

All that said, if the Camaro can move 7k plus per month it'll still make GM money.

#71 · (Edited)
Many are drawing likely at least somewhat worse than unsupportable conclusions @ this time about the new Camaro.

And separately, with regard to Camaro versus Mustang - in the US Market.

You really really really need the Retail versus Fleet split comparisons for Camaro v Camaro before you can say what's up with 6th versus 5th so far.....

Chevrolet is in the midst of an unprecedented and highly desirable Fleet Daily Rental reduction - which is bigger than you might think since... while the GM Total Rental is down - some Brands are up a bit ( with no worries ) - or they were for Q1 anyway. To be clear, Chevrolet's reduction ends up all that much more impressive because of this.

As to Camaro v. Mustang - yeah you really do need the same for both because contrary to Chevrolet, Ford / Ford Brand went all out real big with Daily Rental.

So point is... there is a much stronger than 'normal' possibility that the Fleet splits for 15 v 16 and C v. M are distorting or masking what is really going on with Retail.

Many things mentioned in this thread both positive and negative about this are very likely present; but without knowing the weights for all that nor the Splits mentioned above - just way way too soon to say how it all adds up - so far.

Not that it matters in the least, but over time .... not expecting the new Camaro to impress with Total volume numbers although it may with some others.

Too specialized in a sense, imo.

However, it is a 'new' Camaro, and that in fact counts for much just in and off itself - and also does sort of set - or better said, all but guarantees a pretty high floor for the first nine to twelve months of Retail Sales.

Availability including in the most basic sense plus desirable configurations plus net pricing can create some drag with all this but until we see something that indicates by how much - again, we just do not know.

( Mustang enjoys much the same sort of thing but even stronger in a sense; the previous Gen had become more than a bit cobby by the time it ended - unlike the 5th Gen Camaro. Not meant as a knock towards any of them, btw. )

-----

New Malibu... especially in terms of Retail is so far, beyond awesome.:yup::):tup:::clap::hooray::001_icon16:

Again, more than many may appreciate given all the rest of the Midsize Car results. Especially if one pulls Malibu out from the Total - as one should, to see how all the rest really did. Which will go yet again substantially lower without the 'Bu.

May just be the hottest Car out there ...... and is definitely at least one of them.

Reactions: jzchev28
#75 · (Edited)
GM has consciously gone after ATP's and the Retail market. That is going to affect Volume, but a lowly brand like Chevrolet now has ATP's upwards of $33,000.00. That is impressive however you slice it.

A BMW shopper who gets put in his place by a Camaro can no longer claim its a cheap car that cannot turn, both those claims are from the 1989's. What GM needs to do now is do comparative advertising where they clearly show how far Chevrolet and Cadillac have come from a technology and dynamics stand point..

If I were advertising the VSport, I would put it in a head to head comparison with Carrera S, it outstops and out G's the Carrera S, according to car and driver and Motor trend, why would I not let the world know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.