Akerson envisions a woman running a U.S. automaker one day

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akerson envisions a woman running a U.S. automaker one day

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Automotive News
    September 25, 2013

General Motors CEO Dan Akerson said today he envisioned a woman running one of the three U.S. automakers one day, and that it was inevitable in an industry where half the customers are female.

"The Detroit 3 are all run by noncar guys," Dan Akerson said at a conference, referring to GM, the top U.S. automaker, and its smaller rivals, Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group LLC. "Some day, there'll be a Detroit 3 that's run by a car gal."

"I don't know when, but I think there are an unbelievable number of talented women in automotive, certainly at General Motors," Akerson said. "It's inevitable."

One of the executives whom analysts and industry observers have cited as a potential successor to Akerson is Mary Barra, GM's global product development chief.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mentat Bashar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

Re: Akerson envisions a woman running a U.S. automaker one day

Geez, what are next weeks lottery numbers Kreskin. Hopefully the right "car gal" will be CEO and not a female candidate just for the sake of having a female candidate.

Edit: Just to be clear, that's directed at Akerson and not ne_one...
    Last edited by Mentat Bashar; 09-25-2013 at 10:37 PM.
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Spelling: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=163843

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Quinn;
    It's like a DeLorean...an audio DeLorean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabara Airport;
    The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of Dreamlifter cargo only, there is no stopping in the red zone.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat Bashar View Post
    Geez, what are next weeks lottery numbers Kreskin. Hopefully the right "car gal" will be CEO and not a female candidate just for the sake of having a female candidate.
    LOL. I know just the woman. It would be child's play for The Smartest Woman in the World! Child's play.

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mentat Bashar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

So in looking for news on the '15 HD's I found this article here:

Michigan's top public companies failing to put women on boards, in executive suite

General Motors has four women as directors out of its 14-member board, and 1 listed in the top 5 compensated. In North America, 25% of GM corporate officers are women.

“The change at GM has been amazing,” said purchasing chief Grace Lieblein, an engineer who has been with the automaker 35 years. “The number of women in key positions all over is pretty remarkable.”

She credits GM’s leadership for grooming women over the years but also the fresh eyes of GM CEO Dan Akerson and his team. “They have looked around the organization to identify the best leaders whether woman or man,” she said.
    Last edited by ne_one; 09-25-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Spelling: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=163843

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Quinn;
    It's like a DeLorean...an audio DeLorean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabara Airport;
    The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of Dreamlifter cargo only, there is no stopping in the red zone.

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS/2010/Black

He says the Detroit 3 are all run by noncar guys. Ok so......I guess a CAR guy is out of the question?
    Todd

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

General Motors CEO Dan Akerson said today he envisioned a woman running one of the three U.S. automakers one day, and that it was inevitable in an industry where half the customers are female.

"The Detroit 3 are all run by noncar guys," Dan Akerson said at a conference, referring to GM, the top U.S. automaker, and its smaller rivals, Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group LLC. "Some day, there'll be a Detroit 3 that's run by a car gal."

"I don't know when, but I think there are an unbelievable number of talented women in automotive, certainly at General Motors," Akerson said. "It's inevitable."

One of the executives whom analysts and industry observers have cited as a potential successor to Akerson is Mary Barra, GM's global product development chief.

Full article at link.

Just have to forgive him the error - Sergio covers so much ground - besides being a car guy.

Well .........now that we are done with the meaningless distraction - let us remember .......

GM marketing executive Docherty to retire Sept. 30
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 09-25-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 1.21 giggawatts's Avatar
    Thanks

GM needs someone like Piech. Male or Female, I don't care. Not a coke and a smile.
    strange things are afoot at the circle k.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

GM needs more than anything else by far..... a new set of banks and bankers ( and a new Federal Government but I digress ) - and then large amounts of the board.

New home country...... a possibly useful option.

Get out from under that key group of US banksters - rest will fall into place.

Just look at Chrysler.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO M6 QSM/ black

NEWSFLaSh! Women are capable of doing the same things as men! Who knew?

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Why does this matter? if it's the right person for the job who cares?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC kevinahcc20's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 GMC Acadia

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    New home country...... a possibly useful option.
    Right, because without the actions of GM's current home country there would be...NO GM!

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

He can start us off by stepping down and letting the board hire a woman if wanted. Here's your chance Coke-can Dan.

2015 Mustang GT TY A6 (ON ORDER!)
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: Neanderthal LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I'm definitely on board with a mix of both men and women at all levels. Males/females in general have very different ways of thinking and in the Fortune 100 company (with a female CEO) I work for I see better results when you have a mix vs all one sex. I have no issue with a female CEO, they are just as capable of running a company into the ground as any guy

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Am I the only person who finds his comments patronizing?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuMan2010 View Post
    Am I the only person who finds his comments patronizing?
    I don't. He has a point, he just doesn't express it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Automotive News
    September 25, 2013

Full article at link.
    Sergio is a car guy. Mulally is an aeroplane guy. Bill Ford is a car guy.

Although there is always a black Lancia Thema (a rebadged Chrysler 300) with a chauffeur on standby, the lawyer-by-trade is a keen driver. The other day, he took his Ferrari Enzo to the Balocco test track, where some frantic ad hoc rescheduling was required to make room for the boss and his toy. The morning after our interview, he arrived in a burgundy Ferrari 599 SA Aperta with Swiss plates. There are more Ferraris hiding where Marchionne keeps his other cars, allegedly a mix of European thoroughbreds and American muscle. Does that make Marchionne a hard-core car guy? Or is he perhaps only an armchair engineer, a finance expert, and not at all a visionary like Volkswagen's Ferdinand Piech?

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...#ixzz2g1ZX7eAS

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...e/viewall.html

I'm sure Yogi would be very proud if Mary ended up at GM's helm. He'd probably even voice a couple of hilarious malapropisms at the swearing-in ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by toddr19 View Post
    He says the Detroit 3 are all run by noncar guys. Ok so......I guess a CAR guy is out of the question?
    Who is Sergio again?

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information