The 8-Speeds Are Coming

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The 8-Speeds Are Coming

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 370 Posts
    Blog Entries

The 8-Speeds Are Coming

GMI hears the latest regarding GM's plan to roll out eight-speed transmissions.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    February 17, 2012
    By: Nick Saporito

Much like the six-speed automatic became the new standard across most General Motors products a few years ago, the eight-speed automatic is about to proliferate GM from the top down. Recently many rumors have surfaced regarding the state of eight-speed automatic development at GM; many wondering when the company will first introduce their own. GMI has obtained further details surrounding GM's eight-speed automatic plans, when they will roll out and on which models.

Today GM almost exclusively utilizes their own six-speed automatics, all part of the legendary Hydra-Matic transmission line. GMI hears that exclusive use of internal engineering will likely come to an end with eight-speed automatics. Expect GM to purchase eight-speed units from outside suppliers for certain applications, specifically ones with turbo V-6 engines. With that said, GM is still working on a few home-grown eight's as well.

GMI has learned that the Hydra-Matic line will derive an eight-speed automatic for rear-wheel drive use first. The rear-wheel drive unit will likely first show up in the next-generation Cadillac CTS, but not at launch. According to sources familiar with eight-speed development, the unit will not be ready for production until 2016 model-year. As GMI has reported, the new CTS will land in 2014 model-year.

Expect the eight-speed to quickly trickle down to the Cadillac ATS as well. GMI has also been told the eight-speed will be in the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette and Camaro, both of which come as no surprise. GMI sources have not been able to confirm if the eight-speeds will also end up in GM's next generation full size trucks, but that is a likely a safe bet as well.

As of now it appears GM's eight-speed strategy is similar to the roll-out strategy of their six-speed automatics; start at the top and work down. Expect to start hearing formal verbiage on the new eight's in late 2014 or 2015.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe

Re: The 8-Speeds Are Coming

4 years late and a few dollars short??? Would it be possible for them to use the ZF 8 speed for their Cadillac cars and maybe the Escalade until their own is ready? Or will it not work with their current engines?

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

The tooling is sitting in the Toledo plant. Has been since early last year. WTF is taking so long?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4x4 4.7L

Unacceptable how long this is taking. And then to not have them available at launch for the CTS is even worse. UGH!
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8 (seriously)

Current Rides: 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4, 2001 Ford ZX2 (Work commute car) & 2009 Saturn Vue XR (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX & 1998 Honda Civic DX

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

4 years?? Damn. Chrysler is going to have an all 8 speed line up in the next two years more than likely. Ford has the DCT (which were bad at first but getting better) and GM is stuck in 6 speed land. I will say this though, GM was the first to come out with widespread 6 speeds so they probably bet the farm on them staying longer.

Oh well. It'll get here eventually.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Range Rover Evoque

GM "Not Available at Launch"

That should be their motto, f'n ridiculous.

2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2013 Cadillac ATS
    Past: 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I have often wondered if it made sense for GM or any maker to have their own in-house built trannies. I would think that simply having an exclusive programming of a OEM tranny for their use would be more desirable an no more or less profitable. In fact, I would think GM being what it is, a conglomerate of various companies over the years would simply buy a nice stake in a company like ZF or Borg, which it's could buy both in their entirely without even exhausting it first two 2011 Quarter profits.

While I'm perfectly happy with my 6speeds, I wish GM would just source an 8speed just to shut some people up .

Banned
    Thanks

GM is silly, nothing is ever available at launch.. the Just wait until we bring you _________________________ is still alive and well. It gets old after a while. I am sure there is a spreadsheet on Barra's computer saying just how impossible it is to have it available at launch.. that is circulating around GM

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PearlsRider View Post
    I have often wondered if it made sense for GM or any maker to have their own in-house built trannies. I would think that simply having an exclusive programming of a OEM tranny for their use would be more desirable an no more or less profitable. In fact, I would think GM being what it is, a conglomerate of various companies over the years would simply buy a nice stake in a company like ZF or Borg, which it's could buy both in their entirely without even exhausting it first two 2011 Quarter profits.

While I'm perfectly happy with my 6speeds, I wish GM would just source an 8speed just to shut some people up .
    some things its good to control yourself, do not be dependent on others for your core business

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze/2014/Silver

Nice to hear they are coming. It's a long way off when it seems like the CTS and next generation trucks with the next generation V8 both should be getting 8-speeds out of the gate. Is this another delay caused by bankruptcy?

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    2003 8.1L 2500 4x4 Suburban
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Manual

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
    The tooling is sitting in the Toledo plant. Has been since early last year. WTF is taking so long?
    Awaiting the engines to mate it to?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

I think it took GM forever to get on the 6-speed automatic transmission bandwagon but I'm the only person I know with an 8-speed automatic at the moment - so it doesn't feel, to me, that Cadillac is really THAT late with this. I mean - 6 speeds is good. I guess 8 is better but it's not at the front of my wish list. The 4 speed DTS is just ridiculous in 2011, though.
    The Buick Owners Group
    Lincoln / Cars Connected / Pontiac / Genesis / GMC / Chevrolet

2014 BMW X5, 2010 Weistec/Renntech E63 AMG (800hp on 93 octane), 1999 Mazda 626 (visitor beater)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    some things its good to control yourself, do not be dependent on others for your core business
    Yea...especially with the quality of some of the crap they are sourcing from China these days. Personally, does it really matter? 6 speeds are plenty for now...I could see it now, "GM delays development of 12 speed transmission, will not be available on 8th gen Camaro at launch." At some point the law of diminishing returns on the amount of gears is going to kick in.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar ral1960's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Whatever happened to the Two mode?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

The sky is not falling, because only a select few of the competition has 8 speed automatics right now not even Mercedes even offers an 8 speed automatic in any vehicle for instance.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information