2013 Brings Possible New Opportunity For GM & Ford

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Brings Possible New Opportunity For GM & Ford

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

2013 Brings Possible New Opportunity For GM & Ford

Detroit Free Press

Automotive News

January 7, 2013

Article Quotes:

The good news is that as 2013 begins, Ford finally should be in a position to realize the benefits of all the money it invested in new products during the recession under CEO Alan Mulally's global One Ford plan.

Here's a rundown of the 2012 results, and 2013 outlook, for some of Ford's critical new vehicles.

Fusion: The new Fusion, widely praised by many reviewers, is still in the launch phase and has yet to hit its stride in the market. Sales of the Fusion dropped 3 percent in 2012 as Ford phased out the old model to make way for the redesigned 2013 version. The company is so confident about the appeal of the 2013 Fusion that it's adding production at a second factory, in Flat Rock, Mich., in the second half of the year.

Escape: The Escape compact SUV notched its all-time record sales year in 2012 with a 3 percent increase to 261,008 units, making it second in the Ford lineup in unit sales to the F-series pickup. The Escape continued to sell well despite four recalls.

C-Max: Ford introduced a third major vehicle in 2012: the C-Max Hybrid, built on Ford's global C platform, which it shares with the Focus.

The C-Max has exceeded Ford's expectations so far with sales of 13,309 since the fourth-quarter launch.

Focus: After a slow start following its 2011 redesign, Focus sales soared 40 percent in 2012, making it by far the fastest-growing Ford-brand light vehicle.

The automaker's only other vehicles to post stronger sales gains in 2012 than the industry's 13 percent were the Ford Mustang, up 18 percent; the Ford Explorer, up 21 percent; and the Lincoln MKT, up 41 percent.

F series: The F-series pickup continued its run as the best-selling vehicle in America.

Lincoln: Lincoln dealers are eagerly awaiting the 2013 MKZ, which is just now arriving in showrooms, later than most dealers had hoped.

If Ford can put its recent launch and quality problems in the rear-view mirror and straighten out balky electronics systems such as MyFord Touch, the company can reap the rewards of Mulally's ambitious and money-saving One Ford global platform plan.

-------------------------------------

General Motors, which has focused on maximizing profits and keeping production in line with sales, knows analysts and industry pundits want to see evidence that it can take sales away from competitors.

Last year, GM's U.S. market share sagged to 17.9% as Toyota and Honda regained ground lost in 2011 when an earthquake and tsunami devastated some Japanese suppliers and forced them to make fewer vehicles.

"This is a trend line we will keep an eye on," said Jesse Toprak, senior analyst for TrueCar.com. "GM can't sustain this loss of market share."

In 2013, GM plans to launch 12 new or significantly updated models, including the Chevrolet Corvette, Impala and Silverado, three new Buicks and two new Cadillacs.

"We are setting the stage here ... to launch the biggest product portfolio initiative in General Motors history," said Mark Reuss, president of GM North America.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: 2013 Brings Possible New Opportunity For GM & Ford

It is said that Wall Street is a predictor of future economic performance.

Based on the stock performances of GM and Ford during the past few weeks, 2013 could be a good year for both. A very good year.

I plan on purchasing two vehicles in late 2013, replacing my Acadia and Saab.

Anyone else?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Let's hope the economy continues building so that GM and Ford can continue their growth. Loosing the 2% medicare decrease might have an impact - hopefully not big.....

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Corvette Convertible-Cruze

My question is, are consumers smart enough to know about Ford's and GM's new products being as good and in many cases, better than foreigns? Many are hung up with Toyota's and Honda's no matter how bad their products are. It's sad but true. The media has to stop hammering inferior negativities of American companies. Consumer Reports is a major one. An example of that is my brother-in-law knows nothing about cars so he depends what CR says. Today he regrets not buying an Equinox over a Honda because of less interior noise and better gas mileage on the Equinox. I just hope GM gets better ads.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post

Based on the stock performances of GM and Ford during the past few weeks, 2013 could be a good year for both. A very good year.

Anyone else?
    Some of this will depend on the housing and job markets. Also if crude oil spikes again and stays high then that will have a negative impact. 2013 starts with folks losing the stimulus in there pay checks and certain taxes are going up. If the consumer feels too much squeeze then they will react and spend less.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    My question is, are consumers smart enough to know about Ford's and GM's new products being as good and in many cases, better than foreigns? Many are hung up with Toyota's and Honda's no matter how bad their products are. It's sad but true. The media has to stop hammering inferior negativities of American companies. Consumer Reports is a major one. An example of that is my brother-in-law knows nothing about cars so he depends what CR says. Today he regrets not buying an Equinox over a Honda because of less interior noise and better gas mileage on the Equinox. I just hope GM gets better ads.
    I think consumers are a lot more saavy now than they've ever been and this has translated into a number of conquest buyers coming to both Ford and GM from foreign brands. The only thing these two companies were lacking up until fairly recently was viable products which precluded many consumers from making a purchase.
    Last edited by CrunkedRL; 01-07-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Let's hope the economy continues building so that GM and Ford can continue their growth. Loosing the 2% medicare decrease might have an impact - hopefully not big.....
    A 2% pay cut won't help, thats for sure.

(2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    My question is, are consumers smart enough to know about Ford's and GM's new products being as good and in many cases, better than foreigns?
    I think it's fair to say that consumers are cognizant of quality products from all automakers. An issue for Ford and GM is that while some products in their respective vehicle lineups are class leading or close to it, more lag behind "foreign" competition in one way or another.

Some of GM's and Ford's best products are also among the best selling vehicles in the USA: F-Series, Silverado, and Sierra pickup trucks are the most prominent among these. The Traverse, Acadia, and Enclave along with the Cadillac ATS & CTS are also very competitive products with lower but still good sales numbers.

Other class leading GM and Ford products, like the Avalanche and Flex, have a very satisfied but relatively small owner base.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Anyone else?
    I plan on buying a new car at the end of this year. I was planning on buying one a month ago but was not impressed with what was out there in the Compact market except for the Subaru Impreza so I decided to wait another year hoping to buy domestic.
    If GM fixes the issues with the Cruze and improves it I will get one, otherwise I'm going for the Impreza or Focus if the tranny issues have been fixed.

Thanks

My hope is GM's cost structure is ready to survive a big downturn. Taxes are going up, and the economy is going to be shaky until those idiots in Washington can solve the nation's fiscal problem before we have a bond crisis. Or, barring a bond crisis, before interest rates rise to the level where the Federal budget starts going 25% to paying interest on the national debt. Either of those scenarios totally screw the economy, and only the lean will survive.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 F150 ecobeast 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by AMcA View Post
    My hope is GM's cost structure is ready to survive a big downturn. Taxes are going up, and the economy is going to be shaky until those idiots in Washington can solve the nation's fiscal problem before we have a bond crisis. Or, barring a bond crisis, before interest rates rise to the level where the Federal budget starts going 25% to paying interest on the national debt. Either of those scenarios totally screw the economy, and only the lean will survive.
    The DOW is at 13 000+, oil has been around a 90+ a barrel for over a year now and gold is at a crazy 1600+. The economy is in great shape. The money pigs on wall street want you to live in fear so they can soak up the easy money that's laying all over the place.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by hunchman View Post
    The DOW is at 13 000+, oil has been around a 90+ a barrel for over a year now and gold is at a crazy 1600+. The economy is in great shape. The money pigs on wall street want you to live in fear so they can soak up the easy money that's laying all over the place.
    But those are all indicators of how the well to do are doing. For the average Joe $90 a barrel is still too high, gold has zero (plus a high gold price means the wealthy are expecting inflation) impact and the Dow also zero impact (or minimal). All the average guy has is a two percent decrease in takehome pay, high heating oil costs (if unlucky enough to have oil heat). The average guy is most likely who is buying a lot of the cars.
    Last edited by BlackGTP; 01-07-2013 at 11:49 AM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Watch what happens to their earnings, esp FOMOCO. If sales pick up even a little bit then earnings should go through the roof. GM needs solid launch and sales of the Silvy and GMC trucks.

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

All the average guy has is a two percent decrease in takehome pay, high heating oil costs (if unlucky enough to have oil heat). The average guy is most likely who is buying a lot of the cars.
    The "average guy" in that context is more likely to purchase used cars than new.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 ZO6 / 2010 ZR1/2013 XTS/

Here's hoping those replacements are GM vehicles.............

Anyone else?

More 1st's in the Automotive Industry than Any Automobile......Ever!

"The Standard of The World" CADILLAC

Jake

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information