2009 U.S. EPA Ratings List A Pontiac "G3 Hatchback"; VW Jetta Diesel Rated @ 30/41MPG

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 U.S. EPA Ratings List A Pontiac "G3 Hatchback"; VW Jetta Diesel Rated @ 30/41MPG

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

2009 U.S. EPA Ratings List A Pontiac "G3 Hatchback"; VW Jetta Diesel Rated @ 30/41MPG

Link: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

Interesting find on the 2009 EPA fuel ratings...A Pontiac "G3 Hatchback" is listed at 25/34MPG. Why would Pontiac pay the EPA to rate this car for the United States?

Are Pontiac dealers about to get an entry level vehicle, is GM just preparing for the worst, or is this just some kind of paperwork transaction?

Note: The G3 is based on the Chevy Aveo / Daewoo Gentra.

Also from the new ratings:

With all I have read about the upcoming VW Jetta diesel, I must admit to being quite surprised at the official EPA MPG figures of 30 City and 41 Highway (with a manual transmission).

Remember this quote from Popular Mechanics*: "If reports are correct, the Jetta should get upwards of 50 mpg, combined highway and city."

Here in New York, regular gasoline is selling at $ 4.09, while diesel is $ 5.05 per gallon...a 23% difference. Add in the estimated $2000 cost of the VW diesel option and GM may be on the right track by not rushing to offer diesel powered passenger cars.

A partial listing of 2009 EPA MPG figures may be found at the link.

*December 2007 issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: 2009 U.S. EPA Ratings List A Pontiac "G3 Hatchback"; VW Jetta Diesel Rated @ 30/4

If I recall, the Pontiac G4 (a Canadian-only Cobalt knock-off) was listed on the EPA's website for awhile when it first came out.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

Thanks

Re: 2009 U.S. EPA Ratings List A Pontiac "G3 Hatchback"; VW Jetta Diesel Rated @ 30/4

It would be nice if GM brought in the three-door Aveo as a Pontiac. There was a red Chevy-badged version in a thread the other day that looked pretty good. Besides, a hatch smaller than the Vibe would complement Pontiac's current lineup (although I still would like to see it get waaaayyyy more sporty).

Yes, I know GM needs to stop rebadging products, but this seems like an excellent short-term solution to the current market conditions.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Wolfman01's Avatar
    Thanks

I just did a side by side comparo of the G3 and Aveo. They are dead on identical. If they follow suit, it'll be another useless rebadge. The Aveo makes for a good cheap bottom of the barrel starter car, and is perfect for the entry into Chevy. Given Pontiac's supposed image, this car has no buisness being added to that brand.
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra (97k)
    1996 Tiffen Allegro Bay Class A Motorhome - GM Chassis (43k)
    2004 Saturn ION Redline (9k)
    2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 (4k)
    2014 Chevy Spark 1LT (1k)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

There isn't enough diesel sloshing around for the Euros to use it and for us to have a cheap supply as well. A certain amount of a refined barrel of oil becomes gasoline, diesel, etc. So there is little wiggle room, so you can't make 100% diesel or gas out of your barrels. US refiners are shipping their diesel to Europe where it fetches quite a lot, and European refiners usually ship us their gasoline.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    If I recall, the Pontiac G4 (a Canadian-only Cobalt knock-off) was listed on the EPA's website for awhile when it first came out.
    G5

Thanks

Are we talking about the Canadian Pontiac Wave here? Did it get renamed G3?

I'd rather see Pontiac die than have to market their own rebadged version of the Aveo in the US. There is nothing cool or sporty about that car. Don't even try it GM - knowing them, they'll screw it up and it will look as bad as the G5.
    Current Cars:
    2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Premium
    1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Past Cars:
    1974 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 1984 Chevrolet Impala, 1998 Pontiac Grand Am, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro, 2007 BMW 335i

Level I Members
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman01 View Post
    I just did a side by side comparo of the G3 and Aveo. They are dead on identical. If they follow suit, it'll be another useless rebadge. The Aveo makes for a good cheap bottom of the barrel starter car, and is perfect for the entry into Chevy. Given Pontiac's supposed image, this car has no buisness being added to that brand.
    I agree with you. How will people feel about g8? They will spend 35k on g8 and then there is g3 for 13 k. How will that help pontica image. It is already very bad. This will just make it worst. How about if gm gave pontiac something like subaru sti. That would help build pontiac image not some 3 door aveo. Aveo should stay with chevy that is where it belongs.

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VCDJ View Post
    I agree with you. How will people feel about g8? They will spend 35k on g8 and then there is g3 for 13 k. How will that help pontica image. It is already very bad. This will just make it worst. How about if gm gave pontiac something like subaru sti. That would help build pontiac image not some 3 door aveo. Aveo should stay with chevy that is where it belongs.
    you could say that same load of crap about a person buying a Corvette from Chevy who sells aveo.

That has NO BEARING on someone purchasing a G8.

CobaltSS
    2005 Cobalt SS

Thanks

You have GOT to be kidding me. This may be more inexcusable than the Torrent, Aztek and Montana combined for an alleged performance brand. It might be half forgivable if the Aveo was at least a class leading car, which it's not.

one step forward, one step back. repeat.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 BrickTamland's Avatar
    Thanks

I do have to say I am unimpressed with the Jetta diesel's mileage. Maybe it's a conspiracy - they dilberately made the Jetta's economy subpar so we would continue to purchase all gasoline powered cars...
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Current: Galaxy Gray 2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring
    Former: Super Black 2003 Nissan Maxima SE
    Brilliant Blue Metallic 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Thanks

2010 Infiniti FX35
    2007 Yukon XL Denali
    2006 Chevrolet Corvette

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Archangel's Avatar
    Thanks

What's wrong with the people at Pontiac? An all RWD performance oriented brand, huh?
    "...the current GTA carries on the idea of the first Trans Am proudly and deservedly. It's still the most mature and sophisticated ponycar. It still has character. It still has muscle. And it's still worthy of the name."
    Car Craft, 1991

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 Terrain/99 Sierra/08 Sky RL

I cant beleive that a website full of GM enthusists dont even know that the Aveo is already sold as the WAVE under Pontiac here in Canada (and has been since day one).
    I mean, come on, I know that you guys have the GTO and I dont even live in the US, lol...
    Kris Creed | Sales & Leasing Consultant | GUS REVENBERG CHEVROLET-BUICK-GMC | Windsor, Ontario, Canada | http://www.twitter.com/kdawgone
    Quote Originally Posted by 01IntrigueGX View Post
    A position should be made for you in GM Marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    They should have given him the position yesterday!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information