GM Inside News Forum banner

14-liter V16 LS-based Marine Engine Unveiled

10K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  AMERICA 123 
#1 ·
New 14-liter V16 LS-based Marine Engine Unveiled
Enginelabs
By Mike Magda
2/16/2017

A new LS-based V16 engine capable of 1,200 to 1,400 horsepower without boost was introduced today at the Miami Boat Show. The foundation for this 14-liter marine powerplant is a patent-pending M16 cylinder block that supports four production-style LS3 or LS7 cylinder heads along with separate conventional intake manifolds.

Unlike many other V12 or V16 engine projects that weld two cylinder blocks and two sets of cylinder heads together, engineers from Sixteen Power designed a bespoke single-piece cast cylinder block constructed from A356-T6 aluminum–which has more desirable material properties than 319 alloy often used in OEM engines. The block is spread between the front eight and back eight cylinders so that two sets of 6-bolt LS cylinder heads can be installed without modification.
Sixteen Power has set a tentative redline of 7,000 rpm for the naturally aspirated model with a goal of 1,200 horsepower, although a 1,400-horsepower model is in the works–probably with LS7 heads. A supercharged model could make 1,600 horsepower, and upwards of 2,000 horsepower is possible with a quad-turbo configuration. If there’s enough interest, the company will explore a 900-horsepower model that is built for extended reliability.
More at link

See less See more
#4 ·
Reactions: InCogKneeToe
#6 · (Edited)
You gotta' kinda' love the lunacy here..... and yet, they would not have done this unless they seriously thought it would be worth doing.

Wow

Looking forward to the pics of Al Gore and friends going for a ride.

Wonder about a follow on.... follow behind or 'Autonomous' Fuel Barge / Fuel Tanker option ?

And you just know that ah....... 'resting' comfortably on top of the Cover with a little lump in the idle or whatever........ with your favorite Bosom oops, I mean Bosun First Mate would probably be more than ok.....

On a more serious note..... gotta' kinda' wonder about some kinda' AFM option or....... that what do they call...... Split Fire ? advanced type.

Oh and perhaps or perhaps not an Aircraft type derivative effort........

Reactions: sfbreh
#8 ·
So...how much do I have to cut the cowl to drop this in my 4th gen :D

#10 ·
I would say lots. Your right leg would be extremely hot from the exhaust. And likely your arms & head also with those headers.

Will it fit in a GM truck? That would be sweet!
:ponder: Thinking of this project using 2 4.3 Gen V engines as the base. I would like to revise GMC's TwinSix engine for my '69. :dro:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.