CAMI Strike Starting to Affect Other GM Plants by Michael Accardi September 22, 2017 Share Comments As the strike in Ingersoll, Ontario, stretches into its fifth day other plants are beginning to feel the pain. Plants in both the U.S and Canada will be forced to adjust production schedules and headcounts as General Motors and Unifor grapple over job security issues. According to CBC, layoff notices have been handed out to 250 union workers at GM’s transmission plant in St.Catherines, Ontario which supplies the majority of its output to CAMI. “We supply about 90 per cent of (CAMI’s) transmissions, so it’s related to that,” Unifor 199 chairman Tim McKinnon told the publication. “We have a lot of transmissions stockpiled now because we didn’t know if they were going to resolve it this week or not. It doesn’t look like they’re going to.” Additionally, “production adjustments” will be necessary at GM plants in Tennessee and Michigan. Spring Hill Manufacturing will need to dial back production of the 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, and the Flint Metal Center will also produce fewer sheet metal stampings used in production of the Equinox’s body. The crux of the issue lay with a letter designating CAMI as the lead producer of the Chevrolet Equinox. CAMI is already responsible for 60 percent of all Equinox production, with the other 40 percent coming from GM facilities in Mexico. Earlier this year CAMI lost 600 workers when GM moved production of the GMC Terrain to San Luis Potosi.